PDA

View Full Version : Extra Key

JayWorm
07-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Hello,

Im just wonder if i brought a blank key from eBay how would i program it to work correctly and where can I get it cut?

I currently have a working key.

Jay

dubcruiser
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Do a search mate, this is has been covered a lot of times!! ;)

JayWorm
07-01-2009, 08:22 PM
when i search for 'key' i get nothing

dubcruiser
07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Try putting in:

programming key

You should find some answers from those threads...

batteryman
08-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I've cut and pasted my replies to the same query from someone else. Good luck - it's all down to the age of your car and your local locksmith. I'd find one who can do the job before spending any money. My locksmith said older cars are easier to do.

I had the same problem - bought my car from an independant (small) dealer with only one key. I got a key fob from ebay with blank key in it. You need to be careful as there are several types - 2 button, 3 button, various transmitter radio frequencies. I then took it and the car to my local locksmith (Bolton Lock Company, 354-360 Manchester Road, Westhoughton, Bolton, Lancashire BL5 3JT, Tel: 01942 811186 sorry, no use if you're not in NW) who cut the key profile and reprogrammed the fob. Ordinary key cutters can't usually cut these keys because it won't fit their machine's grips. Bolton Lock told me they can reprogramme most VW Golf keys but not all; more problems with newer ones. Mine's an 'S' reg. so you may be OK. The local VW dealer quoted me something like £150.00 for a new key and I ended up spending less than £50.00.

A bit more info now I've got two key fobs to look at.. The key fob part number and frequency are printed or stamped onto it. To find them, pull the two halves of the fob apart as though you're going to change the battery. Look at the half with the buttons on, in the area which was covered by the other half. You should see a part number like HLO 1JO 959 753 A and a radio frequency like 433MHz. If you get one from ebay, make sure these are the same. I have one as above (original key) and a newer one, same part number except last letter which is N. This one came from an ebay seller with blank blade and was cut and programmed by my locksmith. The older one has oval buttons, the other squarish buttons but both work fine. There seem to be plenty for sale on ebay at the moment, price varies but in £10.00-£30.00 range (low if you're a lucky bidder. Blank blades can be bought separately for about a fiver if needed but get one with a blank if you can. Finally, the locksmith kept my car for a morning to programme it, maybe to fit in with other jobs.

JayWorm
08-01-2009, 01:14 PM
thanks ppl