PDA

View Full Version : RNS-E crashed again

thecount
07-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm having probs again and again with my system.

This morning, it won't move off MP3 player. the steering wheel up and down works but none of the buttons work on hte unit itself. any ideas why?

All I can remember, is a while ago, I removed a fuse for say 3-4 hrs which resets it.
Which fuse is this again? can't remember...

I have tried the manual button reset, but this does nothing, just reboots and still the same problem.

please help

willie1973
07-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Mine crashed the other day, stuck in Map mode (common problem on 2007 dvd when car first switched on) and turning the lights on righted it..???
P.S. I have map colours on auto so it changes to black screen when lights go on.
May well have been a complete fluke.

thecount
07-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi, yes I think that was right. although I think my map DVD is 2008, I'll have to check.

Other issues I have had is that it can also stick to just radio sometimes. just very odd - you don't think its the unit then? can't understand why its the satnav CD.

when you say map colours, what do you mean?

Flakmunky
08-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Try the Vulcan Deathgrip to reset the RNS-E:

Hold Radio and Setup for 10 seconds

Or try holding the power button for 30 seconds...

Q) Do you have original nav discs?

thecount
08-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I did try the Radio and Setup for 10 secs. never atempted the power button for 30 secs though - will try it.

I have the original DVD disc yes. . . why? its old though.

Flakmunky
08-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I've never attempted the power thing...

Non-original discs can crash the RNS-E... I was using a backup of mine and once it had been in for an hour and warmed up it would do all manner of odd things.

You could try a newer disc with newer firmware... But beware, some older nav discs aren't compatible with newer firmware, however if that is the case you can force a downgrade with VAG-COM so it isn't a lost cause.

I live near Newcastle and would be happy to let you try my 2007 disc, and have VAG-COM if you needed to downgrade...

willie1973
08-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Map colours....in the setup you can have day, night or auto....day being white map background, night has a black map background and auto switches between the two when headlights are turned on.

Mine is set to auto and when stuck in map mode the other day switching the lights on seemed enough to trip the unit back on track.

Sorry, didn't catch whether this is a retrofit or not.........you say 2008 dvd.......see what Audi have to say.........maybe need to reinstall software???

Good Luck

thecount
08-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I misunderstood you, yes I have the original of the latest DVD navigation, 2008.

I did have the 2005 or 206 in it originally.
VAG-COM I take it is a piece of software, connection to your own pc for setting up the car's settings etc?

the car is a 2005 by the way, A4 Sline Avant

Flakmunky
08-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Ok, so you have the latest firmware on your RNS-E and you have an original disk... So this rules out a dodgy disk causing read errors. You mentioned the hangs occur when accessing the SD Cards... Have you tried scanning them on a pc to see if there are any errors? Try and make a note of what MP3 you were playing when it hangs as it might be a corrupt MP3?

The worst case scenario is that the motherboard is kaput. This may sound catastrophic but it can be repaired... Head over to audiforum.us as this is where I found almost all of the information which made me confident enough to retrofit my kit and there are a lot of knowledgeable people over there (and some familiar faces, as well - Isaac Hunt being one!) who will be able (and willing) to talk you through the diagnosis and the solution. For instance there is a detailed PDF showing you how to replace the motherboard.

Please let us know in this thread how you get on.

Yes, VAG-COM is software and a USB interface. It has enabled me to tweak my car and retrofit everything in my sig other than the BOSE, Leather, Armrest and parking sensors!

Regards,

fM

Issac Hunt
09-01-2009, 12:38 AM
+1 vote for a dodgy motherboard. There is a guy called 'Rabbit' on audiforum.us who deals in spare parts for the RNS-E, he may have one available. As flakmunky says above there is a pretty good PDF showing how to replace it.