PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Passat won't start

deanmart
06-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi there

I have not started my passat estate tdi y plate for a few weeks. I noticed today that my hazards were coming on intermittently so I went to start the car. It wouldn't turn over although the glow plugs and everything else came on. Does this mean that the battery is flat? I thought I'd ask first before taking the battery off for a charge.

Cheers

Dean

mance7
06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
yep

deanmart
07-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for that. I am a passat newbie as you might tell. I know it seems obvious but I've had a few electrical problems lately and wondered if this was another. I don't suppose you would also know why there is a clicking noise that sounds like something is trying to escape from the glove compartment? Thanks a lot.

Dean

Hex69
07-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Does it stop when you press the recirculation button? If so the flap's buggered, it's a common problem, the solution is on here somewhere...

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=821304

deanmart
07-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi. Thanks for that. I'll let you know when the battery is charged! I ntake it the recirculation button is to do with air con?

Hex69
07-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi. Thanks for that. I'll let you know when the battery is charged! I ntake it the recirculation button is to do with air con?

Well the Heating, Ventilation and Air Con (HVAC) system, yes. However, it doesn't affect the Aircon directly.

deanmart
07-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks a lot

deanmart
08-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Right. Battery on and fine. Yep the circulation button made it stop. It's off for an MOT tomorrow and a diagnostic. The glow plug light comes on and the computer says Engine Workshop! This sounds expensive to me. Got any ideas as to why this comes on? The handbook only says take it to a dealer. If I have some idea I may be forearmed when talking to the bloke at the garage.

Thanks a lot.

mance7
08-01-2009, 06:59 PM
check that your brake lights are working first

Panzerdriver
09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
That will be your brake light switch causing that. I take it you have not noticed any loss in power etc??

This will show up as an error code so get a code reading done to confirm (vag com, vw or any decent garage should do this for you but the garages will charge)

The switch is approx £7 and takes between 1/2 hr to and hr to fit.

There are two different ways they are installed one is just a bit more arkward than the other.

Had mine done at VW under warrenty and took 30 mins.

This is a common fault but an easy fix.

Did you just recharge your battery or have you changed it? the only reason why i ask is if its fairly old then it may well be on its way out so replacing it will save a lot of hassle.