PDA

View Full Version : Golf GTi-T - Engine problem

elemental
20-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Afternoon all, I am hoping someone in the know can offer some advise on my poorly 2001/W Golf GTi-T (150bhp).

Essentially not driven the car for 24hrs then started her up this afternoon and its running very lumpy with what I would say was a misfire, it is very cold so decided to go for a quick drive to see if problem went away. 5 mins down the road problem still persists and engine emmission light comes on... Car jerks at any speed and vibrates even when idling.

The engine lacked power and acceleration was almost non existant. Current millage is approx 87k and due for a service.

Can any one offer up any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

stuart
20-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Hi, Thanks for joinin the site.

This sound to me like you have an ignition coil failure:( this used to be a very common problem with the 20v engines fitted to the whole VAG range.

I would suggest getting this checked out BEFORE driving the car again..

Are you a member of the AA or RAC? if so give them a call, I belive they carry replacements on there vans..

Stuart

elemental
21-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Hi Stuart,

thanks for the prompt reply and the warm welcome. I've just managed to get hold of a friend of a friend who used to be a VW master mechanic and he came to the same conclusion of ignition coil failure. Lets hope great minds think alike!

I have got AA cover but not 'Home start' what damaged could I do if I drive it a mile down the road before I call the AA?

Many thanks.

stuart
21-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Not sure really:( if it was only a short distance, I would not expect it to do any harm, but it may pay you to talk to your friend again, as he would have a better idea.

Other option, is to pick a new coild up yourself from the dealer, think they cost around £25 each (4 fitted to the car)

Stuart

elemental
22-11-2005, 07:08 PM
All fixed, called out the AA who swapped over ignition coil on number 2 cylinder for £21!
Now to get the sticky started motor fixed... unfortunely the AA patrol man didn't have one of them on his person. ;o)

Bhuijn
02-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Well I guess this is a bit late but...

I had the same running problem with my 2001 1.8T GTI. I called out VW Assistance (who are cheaper than the AA). The guy who came to my house diagnosed the problem as a failed coil on cylinder 1 and replaced all 4 coils free of charge.

He then told me that VW had extended the warranty on coils to 5 years so it might be worth approching them and see what you can get out of them.

bazd79
05-06-2007, 05:18 PM
I own a 53 reg VW golf 1.4 version.

At the weekend I had my engine emission light come on and I called out VW assistance.

The guy told me I had a faulty ignition coil and replaced it, he also advised I should get the other 3 ignition coils changed by my dealer and they had 5 years warranty and on back order.

He replaced my igntion coil which was a part B type with a part E type the other igntion coils in my car are also part B types.
I took it to my dealer, and they said they only replace part A types, and that they do not recognise the part B types as faulty parts, or are the part B types covered by warranty.

Does anyone know if this information is accurate, and whether any of my other 3 igniton coils are likley to give me a problem at some point in the future?