PDA

View Full Version : Question 1.9 Tdi PD 130 bhp Passat - Cold start blue smoke.

Passatman10
06-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi,
I have a 2001 1.9 Tdi PD Passat estate with 63K on the clock. Had it for 5 years now so know it's recent service history is sound. On starting from cold after standing overnight or longer there is now an initial emission of blue smoke from the exhaust for 5-10 seconds. After that all is clear. Car runs OK and mpg is normal. Does not use oil. I've never had a diesel before so don't know if this is to be expected with such a car of this age and mileage. Is this something I can cure simply or is it a precursor to something disastrous happening. I have recently had the turbo rebuilt but it did this before that was done. I did post this a few days ago but it doesn't seem to be on the site anywhere so if I have duplicated the post I do apologise. I'm new to the forum, which is brilliant, and still finding my way about.
Thanks to you all.
Brian

passat 130 tdi
07-01-2009, 08:18 AM
egr may need cleaning . use search for EGR,, on here lots of similar issues

Panzerdriver
09-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Are you sure its blue and not a whiteish colour??

Most diesels on startup will produce smoke of one form or another blue,black,white. This is mainly due to unburnt fuel from initial startup being forced out, this in its self is nothing to worry about,

If its continuously pumping out blue smoke or white then this could be several things, damaged piston rings, faulty turbo seals (should'nt be that if you have had the turbo overhauled), fuel injectors and so on, providing there is no loss in power no excessive oil use then don't worry. My 03 tdi sport does the same first thing in the morning but clears after a few seconds then all is fine. (72k on the clock)
My old tdi sport did the same so personally don't fret just keep an eye on it.

Maybe giving the egr a clean may help, its worth a go.

Eddie
10-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Could be the valve stem oil seals have perished,when the vehicle is cold oil leaks into the combustion chamber after it warms up the seals become more pliable and reseal themselves

stonedagain
10-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Hi,
I have a 2001 1.9 Tdi PD Passat estate with 63K on the clock. Had it for 5 years now so know it's recent service history is sound. On starting from cold after standing overnight or longer there is now an initial emission of blue smoke from the exhaust for 5-10 seconds. After that all is clear. Car runs OK and mpg is normal. Does not use oil. I've never had a diesel before so don't know if this is to be expected with such a car of this age and mileage. Is this something I can cure simply or is it a precursor to something disastrous happening. I have recently had the turbo rebuilt but it did this before that was done. I did post this a few days ago but it doesn't seem to be on the site anywhere so if I have duplicated the post I do apologise. I'm new to the forum, which is brilliant, and still finding my way about.
Thanks to you all.
Brian
It's perfectly normal for a Diesel to emit a bit of smoke during a cold start, don't worry about it, they all do it!

STEWY L
10-01-2009, 06:56 AM
It's perfectly normal for a Diesel to emit a bit of smoke during a cold start, don't worry about it, they all do it!
ditto

Eddie
10-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Unless ime wrong blue smoke indicates oil being burnt,white smoke is water and black smoke is unburnt fuel.Ive had black and white on startup but never blue smoke,the white is usually condensation in the exhaust/the black is through revving the engine when not warmed up,you shouldn't puff blue smoke

Panzerdriver
10-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Have you personally stood behind the car on its first start of the day?? if you see the smoke in your rear view mirror/door mirrors this may not give a true representation of the smokes colour.

Valve stem seals are a possibility but with 63k on the clock very doubtful.
Gone are the days when most old cars (70's and early 80's) blue smoke on startup was the norm, old fords spring to mind.

Modern materials take much longer to perish unless the servicing schedule has not been adhered to.

If you are not using oil then do not worry :D just keep an eye on your oil level.

Passatman10
11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks to you all for your reassuring comments. I think I'll follow the good advice given about 'not broke - don't fix' and just monitor the situation. I assume that if it's the valve stem seals then it's a major head off job or can these be replaced with the head in-situ?
Thanks again.

STEWY L
11-01-2009, 06:41 PM
forget about the stem seals,diesel engines are "oil burners",diesel being oil.
the amount of engine oil being burnt if it is stem seals would be next to nowt.
all diesels give smoke on cold starts,and it could be any mixture of colours basically,it's not as easy as white being water,black being fuel, blue being oil.
regards,
stewy.

stonedagain
11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Unless ime wrong blue smoke indicates oil being burnt,white smoke is water and black smoke is unburnt fuel.Ive had black and white on startup but never blue smoke,the white is usually condensation in the exhaust/the black is through revving the engine when not warmed up,you shouldn't puff blue smoke
The blue smoke is unburnt fuel which is injected into the cylinders during initial cranking, just before the engine actually fires. Black smoke is due to an excessive quantity of fuel being burnt.

minty0_10
11-01-2009, 06:57 PM
mine gives a bit of a chug and bit of blue smoke on first start up in the morning.
has done for the last year never uses oil either

mj0110
05-02-2014, 07:24 PM
could someone please advise vw passat 2001 1.9 tdi sport
last mot passed ok mechanic does mention about white/grey smoke on start up
today failed mot on emissions test due to coloured smoke
is there any way around this?
car runs fine, mpg ok, no loss of oil or coolant
how can i get it through the mot
all help is really appreciated as i have not a clue

micheal balbrig
05-02-2014, 08:10 PM
First thing is to fit new air filter (if not already done)
Check all turbo hoses for splits and security.
I used a diesel additive before last test and got better than expected result.
Ensure engine is good and hot before test.
Drive hard in low gears for a period before the test to clear soot from your exhaust system, you will see the smoke in rear view mirror.
It may be a good idea to have someone with vcds to check if air meter etc. is operating properly.
Hopefully someone will reply with more suggestions

Did it fail by much, or do you get a print out?