PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Floor leak and electrical shorts !!

CLAREK
05-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Audi A2 sport TDI 53 -plate

Ok, having problems with warning light on the dash, initially thought it was faulty sensors but on closer inspection I found the footwells on both sides of the car to be sopping wet. I removed both the panel covers under the matting and the drivers side had a couple of mills of water in it and the passenger side containing what looks like an electrical junction box also had water in it. The water has a slightly soapy feel to it to the obvious culprit is the washer reservoir but it still seems to have water in it. Can anyone tell me where this moisture is coming from and if my car is safe to drive until it is rectified?

murray26775
06-01-2009, 10:23 PM
hi friend, i have an a4 avant. i had a wet patch under my passenger seat caused by the pipe running to my rear washer, reason why you still have water in the bottle is it only leaks when used. also though placed under your passenger seat should be an ecu unit. now dont be alarmed, it should only serve the airbags as in my a4 but possibly it has gotten wet. try not to use the rear washer for a while, if the car stays dry, fix the problem. prob be a disconected or fractured water hose, icu on the other hand can be expensive, put it to you this way, my abs light is still on. i hope this helps

CLAREK
08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your reply!

No rear washer on my A2. Did consider broken hose.................however it now transpires that over time numerous LEAVES have become embedded in the air in put for the heaters. Basically rain water backed up and then flowed back via the heaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will have to wait for warmer weather the solve the other problem if indeed the problem still will exist.
And no doubt it will!

larrybjorn
08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Currently have the same problem with my A2. After applying water to various places, noticed water flowing in from right back light. I know where the leak is now but haven't figured out how to remove right back light to seal it properly.

murray26775
09-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Currently have the same problem with my A2. After applying water to various places, noticed water flowing in from right back light. I know where the leak is now but haven't figured out how to remove right back light to seal it properly.
hi, the water isnt coming in in the same place but removing your rear lights shouldnt be that hard a task, time consuming maybe, give yourself a few hours and have relivent tools (i dont mean you have to have a full tool kit) just remove your inside panels in the boot. im not too clued up on the set up of the a2 but when you do get the light housing off check the rubber seal, its prob just dirty, give it a good clean up, clean the car where the rubber sits too, then rub some vaseline onto the rubber, this will keep the rubber seal moist and help it retain its seal. hope this helps. did the water short out your electrics?

larrybjorn
09-06-2009, 09:11 PM
I have been very lucky. No electric malfunctions despite having water to 5cm below top of battery. The electric pump jammed up but got it working by dissemble, clean, and oil. If I only can get the leak fixed before autumn...

larrybjorn
09-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Come to think about it, the radio reception stopped working just prior to finding out about the leak. Then again, probably just coincidence, more likely antenna is faulty and needs changing. Do anyone now the location of the antenna? I have an A2 with glass roof.

painterman
14-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Hi,
First posting here, as I noticed that someone shares the same problem re leaks.
I have an X-reg A2, purchased few months ago, and noticed that both front carpets are very wet underneath, and believe this water caused fault on the ABS sensor (which was £350+ to replace!) as its sited in the box under the passanger seat .
On inspecting under the bonnet, i found that the soak-away pipe appears to have been recenlty replaced (new plastic ties). However the pipe is only 10cm long and only directs the water to the bottom of the engine compartment, where it seems to collect on the floor...am therefore assuming that this has then collected & soaked under the carpets.
Can anyone with an A2 please have a look on theirs and tell me if my soak-away pipe is wrongly fitted - am assuming it should be longer and fitted to take the water out the bottom of the car?
Thanks in anticipation...