PDA

View Full Version : 1st to 2nd Gear Crunch - 07 TSI 140

geashton
05-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Any ideas please...

I have a golf tsi, 6 spd manual with 21k on the clock.

On short journeys if i try and change from 1st to 2nd i either find the change lumpy and stiff (normal enough for a new gearbox i guess) or if i rev 1st above 3500rpm 2nd gear crashes in.

After long journey the problem is worse and happens at just above 2500rpm making first gear fairly hopeless! it goes into 1st and reverse at idle with no probs.

Its currently in the dealer who's about to inspect the flywheel / clutch for damage or wear? I've driven slipping, juddering and dragging clutches before but this doesnt feel bad in any other gear.

Any similar stories / theories, sounds to me like synchromesh prob?

Thanks guys,

Gordon.

the surfer
06-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Oh yes! I have had this since I bought my Golf at 18k! Exact same thing! I took into VW dealer about this issue about 4 times! They couldn't fix it and I was told it's a characteristic of the car! I'm now at 30k and things are still the same..... It drives me mental!

I would be interested to see your outcome from this.

Also, if you do a search on this site, you'll more than likely come across numerous posts by myself relating to this same problem.

kenney
06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi Is it a 5 or 6 speed box? On 5 speed manual gearboxes of a limited production period the friction values and thus the locking effect of the baulk ring may be reduced because of the combination of baulk ring (1/2 gear) and synthetic gear oil . When changing quickly from 1st to 2nd gear this can lead to noises and premature wear.Campaign 35A7

GarJE
06-01-2009, 03:37 PM
It's a 'dub quirk. Every vw i've ever had has done it! Try quickly moving the gearstick slightly down the neutral leg between 1st and 2nd.

geashton
07-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Cheers for the posts guys,

The dealers came good today, they've popped the gearbox off to look at the clutch and dual mass flywheel, these were both ok.

they say the 2nd gear synchrohub is damaged and are replacing it as we speak! i'll let you know how that goes.

from what i've read if the problem goes with a slow gearshift from 1st to 2nd or by double declutch then its the synchromesh. it seems putting up with it will start to wear the gear out and make it less fun pulling away.

not to be attempted out of warranty though as it would be about £1200!

Hope this helps

the surfer
07-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Cheers for the posts guys,

The dealers came good today, they've popped the gearbox off to look at the clutch and dual mass flywheel, these were both ok.

they say the 2nd gear synchrohub is damaged and are replacing it as we speak! i'll let you know how that goes.

from what i've read if the problem goes with a slow gearshift from 1st to 2nd or by double declutch then its the synchromesh. it seems putting up with it will start to wear the gear out and make it less fun pulling away.

not to be attempted out of warranty though as it would be about £1200!

Hope this helps

Hmm interesting......... and slightly worrying too! How can the synchro be damaged after 21k!?

If I 'hang' in neutral for 1 or 2 seconds before changing up to 2nd, I can feel the gears start to lock and it will go in smooth. If I change from 1st to 2nd normally, it will always judder and go crunch. It's only after at least 15 mins driving that my gears become smoother, but still not completely satisfactory.

What I've been told is: if the gears don't judder when the oil is warm, it's not the synchros as they would do it regardless of oil temp.

What I'm worried about is the premature wear to the box and the huge cost of getting it repaired as my car is now just out of warranty!

This whole thing has been bugging me since taking ownership of my car 2 years ago and I still haven't got any further, 5 visits to VW dealer later!

It's a 'dub quirk. Every vw i've ever had has done it! Try quickly moving the gearstick slightly down the neutral leg between 1st and 2nd.

I have also heard this from lots and lots of various sources. Not good really. It would be interesting to find out why VW can't build a decent gearbox!

I plan on keeping my car long-term but now I'm thinking twice about it as I don't want to have to fork out on getting my gearbox repaired/replaced a few years down the line.