PDA

View Full Version : Centrol Locking Problem

SKINNYSEAND
04-01-2009, 10:19 PM
When I use the central locking switch on the driver's door to lock the car all doors lock and then the rear right door unlocks itself. However when I lock the car with the remote all doors lock and stay locked. Can anyone shed some light on this please? It is a really annoying problem.

:1zhelp:

pass&golf_tdi
05-01-2009, 01:42 PM
I have the same problem with the front passanger door, been suggested that I need to take the door card off and check the connections, but have had the time or the inclination to do so yet.

atlantisclub
05-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Almost certainly the Convenience Unit, which sits in the front passenger well (UK cars), usually in a puddle of water.

This normally causes probs with locking, alarm, interior lights. Solution is a real pain, involving removing (or cutting) carpets, drying out or replacing the unit, then relocating it out of the water trap.

Then there is the ingress of water to suss. Often it's the seal around the pollen filter that fails.

My VW dealer quored £1500 to solve the problem, but you can get a replacement Convenience Unit much cheaper, and fit it yourself. The convenience unit MUST have the same code number as the original.

Having replaced the convenienc unit, you then have to "mate" it to your key fob. This is done by a series of ket presses and opeartions of the ignition switch. If you decide to take this option, I can post the mating instructions.

Best of luck!:(

pass&golf_tdi
05-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Any information or previous threads on how best to lift the carpets to check the convenience unit. Had a brief look previously, didn't look very simple to me. Thanks

atlantisclub
05-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Start by removing the seat, (2 screws and one plug/socket), but first diss the battery or you will show an air bag fault that you'llnhave to get cleared by a dealer. Don't reconnect the battery until you have reconnected the underseat connector.

Then it's just a case of removing trims until you can peel back the carpet enough to get at the unit. I ended up CUTTING my carpet.

There are a load of cables running alongside the inner cill, and these often have poorly made connections which get wet and corrode.

This probably isn't going to be your favourite job :(

TornadoTDi
05-01-2009, 02:50 PM
To check the possible points for water ingress, check out this post over at passatworld:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230249

SKINNYSEAND
05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I will have to find some time to get my hands wet

swalker
06-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I would go for a dirty solenoid first, see previous threads. mine is the same for the fns door. IMHO the lock pops back up when locked from the inside becouse it is only locking the door whereas with the key, the door is getting dead locked and an extra event is happening getting more current to the solenoid. I stand to be corrected as I have not got a chance to look at mine and prove this.

ktvfn
06-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Could you post the instructions please. I've just replaced the CCU but I can't find anyone other than Audi who can 'code' the unit into the system. I have reluctantly booked it in but I have a week to find a cheaper alternative. Cheers!

swalker
06-01-2009, 04:22 PM
not sure if this is the one you need or not and with vagcoms doors closed you'll just have to look about ebay and see.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280298689236

try getting in touch with this guy, I know nothing about him just came across it myself.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Car-Communicator_W0QQ_trksidZp284.m183QQ_trkparmsZalgo %3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI% 252BSI%26otn%3D4

ktvfn
06-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Sorry perhaps my message wasn't clear I was talking about the instructions that Atlantisclub offered to post - 'mating' key fob with the new unit. Cheers!

swalker
06-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Yep thas the one should be covered in old threads somewhere