PDA

View Full Version : Please Help VW POLO 96 turns over won't start

Antonyb4889
04-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Hello,
I have a VW Polo 1.4 1996 that will not start, and no idea what it is. we thought it could be due to battery but change battery and spark plugs and cleaned/tightened connections. tried jumping it as well. when u turn the ignition it turns over and over and just don't start.
I realised that when i was trying to start the engine i couldn't smell any petrol even though i was pumping the throttle, even when i smelt right up close. i looked closer at the pipes that the petrol flows through and no petrol in them. It puzzles me though as i was driving the car the day before and now nothing.

We now think it may be the relay for fuel pump or a problem with the fuel pump. If it is the relay can somehelp with what number is it in my car as do not have diagrams. anyone else know what it might be ??

Have now replaced the fuel tank relay still no petrol running through to engine, i listened to the fuel pump up close and i can hear the buzzing noise? anyone know what might be wrong?

Antonyb4889
07-01-2009, 11:23 PM
anyone have an idea

shabazmo
08-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Despite the engine not starting, does it fire?

Before we check other parts, please do the following. Disconnect the fuel pipe that enters the fuel rail. Turn the ignition on to see if petrol shoots out the pipe. This is the only way to check that the fuel is not being pumped. If fuel is flowing then the injectors are not opening. Let me know the result and we can take it to the next stage.

Also, spray some carb cleaner into the throttle valve. Turn the engine over. If it fires, we know that no fuel is enterring the engine. If it does not fire then we know that there is a spark issue.

chrisgixer
10-01-2009, 10:54 AM
if you have fuel and spark, could well be a crank sensor or similar engine management issue. It needs a diagnostic computer to check trouble codes, dealer is very expensive so i would look for an independent garage with a snap on or other universal make reader. Maybe they will bring reader to your car if it wont start.

Antonyb4889
11-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Despite the engine not starting, does it fire?

Before we check other parts, please do the following. Disconnect the fuel pipe that enters the fuel rail. Turn the ignition on to see if petrol shoots out the pipe. This is the only way to check that the fuel is not being pumped. If fuel is flowing then the injectors are not opening. Let me know the result and we can take it to the next stage.

Also, spray some carb cleaner into the throttle valve. Turn the engine over. If it fires, we know that no fuel is enterring the engine. If it does not fire then we know that there is a spark issue.
ok ive tried that but there is no petrol flowing at all through the engine and at the fuel pump, someone told me that it could be due to the thatcham alarm on it and i need to enter the code for it again could that cause petrol to not flow?

shabazmo
11-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Not too sure what you mean, does it fire when you put carb cleaner through the throttle valve and not fire when when no carb cleaner is put in.
When you say no petrol is flowing through the engine. I need to know how you tested this. My test in my previous post is the simple way.
I cannot take this post any further without a more accurate reply from you.
I can provide you with a dozen reasons why the car wont start but it will not fix your problem unless you replace all parts. A systematic diagnostic procedure is what is required to establish the correct fault
Regards.

Naudé
20-08-2015, 06:57 AM
I have a 96 polo it gets fuel and spark but it just won't start had it at an autolec and replaced the ecu 7k later it still doesn't start. can u please help me

shabazmo
20-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Can you tell me if the engine fires when you try and start it. If not put carb cleaner or easystart in the throttle Chamber and tell me if the engine starts or even fires. If neither, you need to do a compression test on all 4 cylinders. Let me know how you get on.

there will be a lot more testing before we know what to replace.

niall campbell
20-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Also you could replace the fuel filter ?

Have you put in a gallon of fuel incase the tank is empty due to faulty fuel guage sender unit in tank ?

failing that you could try hitting the fuel pump incase its seized, however the fuel pump might be faulty

Ziaad Noursing
19-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Hello.
Remove all your spark ignition, clean them all
Removed your distributor casing, heat it up a little bit with a lighter and refix it.
Start your engine. Guarantee it will start after that you need to check if your TPS sensor is working, if not, unburn petrol will remain in your cylinder head which will cause your spark ignition to become dark.