PDA

View Full Version : power loss and loads of blue smoke

tennentsfan
04-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Hello there ,
Im Having a little trouble with both of my alhambras but i know for definite the turbo is gone on 1 .
The problem is my 2nd is losing power aswell now and im getting excessive blue smoke every now and again .
It has been using oil for a while but i never seen it coming out exhaust as much as this .
The turbo has started whinning quite badly aswell .
Its a Alhambra 1.9 tdi
52 plate
AUY engine code .
It is used as a taxi but its only me that drives it .
And im not hard on it .
Thanks in advance
Regards Kieran

size12
04-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Im sorry what are you asking?:confused:

onzarob
04-01-2009, 09:11 PM
I think you may of answered it yourself, sounds like turbo oil seals.... blue smoke and noisy turbo.

HTH

Rob

adamss24
04-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Hello there ,
Im Having a little trouble with both of my alhambras but i know for definite the turbo is gone on 1 .
The problem is my 2nd is losing power aswell now and im getting excessive blue smoke every now and again .
It has been using oil for a while but i never seen it coming out exhaust as much as this .
The turbo has started whinning quite badly aswell .
Its a Alhambra 1.9 tdi
52 plate
AUY engine code .
It is used as a taxi but its only me that drives it .
And im not hard on it .
Thanks in advance
Regards Kieran
Dont be a cheapskate and use better quality oil ! I did have cars with over 200k on the clock on original turbo's !

tennentsfan
05-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Dont be a cheapskate and use better quality oil ! I did have cars with over 200k on the clock on original turbo's !

I only use oil form my local vw dealer .
Anyway prob been diagnosed .
Now to see what kind of huge bill i get .

onzarob
05-01-2009, 04:08 PM
I only use oil form my local vw dealer .
Anyway prob been diagnosed .
Now to see what kind of huge bill i get .

what is the problem diagnoses? hope it not too bad on the wallet;)

tennentsfan
07-01-2009, 01:42 AM
seals on the turbos gone . so ive got 2 alhambras parked next to each other in the local garage waiting for turbos . Got one for £660 form original turbos direct . Got the impression that the local dealers were trying to get me to buy a recon . couldnt understand why they kept telling me it was new then asked for the old unit back ??? . And the other is waiting for assessor from warranty company .
Really need to look into trying to keep these turbos in tip top condition .

onzarob
07-01-2009, 10:12 AM
thanks for the update, I've got a spare turbo for my car in the garage, i keep planning to have a look into reconditioning it as my car has now done 155K and its probably seen better days. can't see it being that complex;)

I think a job for when it warms up ;)

dibly
11-09-2009, 01:36 PM
hi guys--i have now got the dreded smoke--at times--and my turbo whistles a lot--i had a noise below that sounded like an exhast leek--it all started around 140000 miles and a new gut of oil--but reading the other threads it could be a leaking turbo pipe--could that be it??

dibly

Angarak
24-09-2009, 05:10 PM
FYI, the turbos are made by Garrett (atleast they are on a 2001 1.9tdi SE model).

I got a price from a SEAT for a new turbo as I was getting overboost all the time. I think they quoted just over the £600 mark (approx), but then the parts guy offered to get a price from Garrett so we could order it directly and get it delivered to SEAT to fit - it was over £100 cheaper.

When we came to pick the car up, SEAT tried to keep our old knackered turbo claiming it was a part-ex agreement - but I was having none of it and got the old turbo back so I can get it reconditioned should this new one go **** up.

I believe SEAT sell the turbos on to companies that recondition them...cant blame them, not many customers would want a knackered turbo so they may as well make some money from it.

It was wierd how buying the turbo from SEAT cost over £100 more, but the parts chap (very helpful) ordered it for us as a direct purchase from Garrett and we got it cheaper lol.

dibly
24-09-2009, 05:46 PM
since i have had this smoky exhast--i have realised that i can hear my turbo whistling a lot --i have found that there is a rubber pipe from turbo to inlet manifold--its cracked and so most of the thrust from the turbo goes out of the crack--not into the engine--also i have a small oil leak which is the exhast emission valve--fitted just at the back of the head--it puts unburnt fuel back into the engine--im thinking that these two things together may be giving me smoke--not enough air going into the engine because of the crack--so to much fuel --so running rich--maybe oil from the censor could be going into the manifold from the engine so im going to do these and see what it brings--the censor is only £160.00 what a rip off

dibly

dibly
03-10-2009, 05:31 PM
ok well i have loss of power--theres a pipe from the turbo--its a total pain to see let alone replace--its an elbo around 6 ins long--£34.00 inc vat--so your loosing pressure to the inlet manifold--so not enough air in there so the sensors dont register correctly for the computer--so you get smoke--i also have a oil leak from top of engine--i thought it was cam cover--but its coming from the EGR vale its at the top of the engine at the back--just under the engine cover--you will see a diaphram housing--the oil kleaks from a hole underneath it--the whole housing--including a huge piece of manifold [ £160.00 ] has to be replaced to stop this leak--or clean around the hole with thinners and fill the hole with ,mastic--the EGR only works for around 5mins so no loss really and doesnt effect mot or emissions--and no oil leak