PDA

View Full Version : Question Where To Get A Vag Com Data Cable For Alhambra

Robin Vitiello
04-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi,
I have an 02 Alhambra 1.9tdi 115 bhp diesel - done about 50,000 miles. Over the years a number of faults have arisen (noyt many or real major ones) that have needed the diagnosis done and faulkt codes reset in order to effect the repairs. I can generally do most of the actual mechanics myself, but the major cost has been the charge for fault diagnosis and re-set. As the car gets older (and we are planning to keep it for another 2-3 years cos it is low mileage) then I imagine I can expect a few more fautls to start arising.

My question if anyone can advise is

1. Where can I get the data cable/reader that you plug into the Al to identify the code and reset. Is the data cable/reader the same for all Alhanbras or do they vary for model?

2.Have never seen one. Is it a discrete unit or does it connect to a laptop? If so presumably you need some software. What is the likely cost for all this?

3. Where does it actually plug into? Sounds real basic but never found out where.

Bottom line what do I need to get to be able to do the fault finding and re-setting myself.

If anyone can advise please. My current problem is with the auxilliary heater. Looks like fuel coming through Loads of thick white smoke and the 'jet engine' noise comes on, but no real heating. Possibly glow plug, but I am advised the fault needs to be re-set before you try anything.

Thanks in advance

Robin

billysc
11-01-2009, 05:39 PM
try www.gendan.co.uk (http://www.gendan.co.uk) they have all sorts of diagnostic equipment.my alhambra aux heater also is faulty,tho no jet engine noise now.all i know is,always stay away from main dealers,very expensive with a license to rob.some are even very incompetent,as past experience with bmw motorcycle dealers have proven.
all the best.

SeatPete
01-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi there,

I note that it's a few days since you posted so may well not require this advice. Nevertheless here goes.

I have the same vehicle and now up to 165k miles. My aux heater glowplug went 18 months ago. I chose the simple option which was to just disconnect the electrical plug from the heater unit. You can reach it fairly easily just under the nearside passenger door.

Yes, the car does take longer for the engine to coe up toe temperature but cold snaps (like today) notwithstanding, I personally have suffered no other ill effects.

Further, I totally agree with taking a pragmatic decision to be careful about letting main dealers futz about at my expense without a clear idea of how to fix the fault. I'm thinking air con now which seems to be a bottomless pit of expenses on Galaxy, Sharan, Alhambra.

All the best,
Pete