PDA

View Full Version : Custom A4, yeh baby

Maz
27-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Have a look at this, I thought it looks cool but maybe not to everyones taste!

What do you think

http://www.liquidautomotive.com/a4/exterior/csr/large1.jpg

http://www.liquidautomotive.com/a4/exterior/csr/large2.jpg

Sam
27-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Not to my taste, but if you're doing it, it's your car, not mine

Maz
27-02-2007, 03:00 PM
It is a bit OTT but it does stand out and no I won't be doing that to my car.

There were some nice eye brows on there which looked good!

I haven't seen any A4's done up has anyone else?

AudiSport
27-02-2007, 06:41 PM
gay pride?

Teutonic_Tamer
27-02-2007, 08:03 PM
:puke:

Teutonic_Tamer
27-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Teutonic_Tamer
27-02-2007, 08:36 PM
So you dont like it then ?

Not really.

Look at the second picture - an appropriate name:
Hugh

?

Hugh Jass

Flanders
27-02-2007, 10:56 PM
gay pride?

LMAO

When it comes to saloon Audi's they dnt need much but a bit phat set of wheels and a very subtle kit
twin exhausts are also a maybe :D IMO

gary_m
27-02-2007, 11:03 PM
It's not really my taste either, but I think it needs a decent boot spoiler to balance it up a bit, as it seems too 'bottom-heavy' with the oversized bumpers ;)

devonutopia
27-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Just lowered with some RS4 wheels would be good enough for me. :) Perhaps a badgeless grille and some kind of front and rear splitter. Nothing like that car though.

Flanders
27-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Badgeless grill!!!Most importantly

most importantly :beerchug:

Teutonic_Tamer
28-02-2007, 12:21 AM
it seems too 'bottom-heavy' with the oversized bumpers ;)

Hence my post #9 - Hugh Jass :D

Rgds

gary_m
28-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Hence my post #9 - Hugh Jass :D

Rgds

Great minds .....etc :approve:

gary_m
28-02-2007, 12:29 AM
This should do the trick............... :approve:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/733/spoilerul7.jpg

Teutonic_Tamer
28-02-2007, 12:37 AM
This should do the trick............... :approve:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/733/spoilerul7.jpg

Hmm . . . nice!

Hang on, that must be the barsteward who stole my patio bench! :D

inertia
28-02-2007, 09:47 AM
this is my fav custom A4

http://www.tunerzine.com/articles.asp?id=196

remove the red towing eye, and the adverti9sing decals and its pretty much perfect :)

I want that Audi emblam brake light mod on my B6

Teutonic_Tamer
28-02-2007, 11:10 AM
this is my fav custom A4

remove the red towing eye, and the adverti9sing decals and its pretty much perfect :)

That is actually quite a good one, from the outside. I think the lower grill needs refitting, and/or the intercooler painting black.

OMG, OMG, OMG - :***: are those weedy brakes on the front all about. They are pathetic - I've changed my mind. All that engine tuning, along with nitrous injection - but still using the standard brakes (not even S4 brakes !) - the guy needs shooting!! :aargh4:

The inside is pants. The head unit looks awful, as does the seats and steering wheel! :puke: The pedal covers look like he sent off 4 corn flakes packet tokens, and a £2.50 postal order - awful! And the Nitrous bottle in the rear armrest ????

What, the four rings in the boot lid? That isn't a brake light - the third brake light is still in the standard position, inside the lower edge of the rear screen.

How about this for an emblem ? ;)

Maz
28-02-2007, 11:25 AM
this is my fav custom A4

Agreed that looks classy now how would the car that started this of look in black?

Sam
28-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Agreed that looks classy now how would the car that started this of look in black?

Something like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/mycarsavw/BlackA4.jpg

Teutonic_Tamer
28-02-2007, 11:53 AM

What, your purple B5 at the top - in black - still pants! The bumpers are just OTT, and spoil the classy lines of the standard A4.

PS, how do you actually post full size pics? I can only post thumb-nails of attachments - as in my .... erm... Audi "protection" ;) ?

Rgds

Sam
28-02-2007, 11:58 AM
PS, how do you actually post full size pics? I can only post thumb-nails of attachments - as in my .... erm... Audi "protection" ;) ?

Rgds

That's not such a bad thing ;)

You need to use the tags around your picture's URL . Obviously the picture has to be online first.

Teutonic_Tamer
28-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Something like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/mycarsavw/BlackA4.jpg

OMG - Noooooo. Now it just looks like a drug-pushers car! Just change the front reg plate from "XX line" to "Ch line" - and free advertising for the peddlers!

Teutonic_Tamer
28-02-2007, 12:24 PM
That's not such a bad thing ;)

Have you been peeping ?? :Blush: ;) :D

You need to use the tags around your picture's URL . Obviously the picture has to be online first.

So it can't be done if they are stored locally on your own 'puter? :boggled:

Sam
28-02-2007, 12:26 PM
So it can't be done if they are stored locally on your own 'puter? :boggled:

I'll write a little how-to on uploading pictures ;)

Teutonic_Tamer
28-02-2007, 12:39 PM
I'll write a little how-to on uploading pictures ;)

Ta.

I'll race ya - I'm doing a write up on diesel engine technology and operating differences on the Golf forum. Perhaps if it looks OK when I've finished tweaking it, you can make the single post a sticky. ;)

inertia
28-02-2007, 12:41 PM
That is actually quite a good one, from the outside. I think the lower grill needs refitting, and/or the intercooler painting black.

OMG, OMG, OMG - :***: are those weedy brakes on the front all about. They are pathetic - I've changed my mind. All that engine tuning, along with nitrous injection - but still using the standard brakes (not even S4 brakes !) - the guy needs shooting!! :aargh4:

The inside is pants. The head unit looks awful, as does the seats and steering wheel! :puke: The pedal covers look like he sent off 4 corn flakes packet tokens, and a £2.50 postal order - awful! And the Nitrous bottle in the rear armrest ????

What, the four rings in the boot lid? That isn't a brake light - the third brake light is still in the standard position, inside the lower edge of the rear screen.

How about this for an emblem ? ;)

I agrea about the interior, but the brakes are uprated "ECS Stage 2 kit: drilled/slotted rotors, stainless lines, ceramic pads" they might not be huge but they are good brakes, you can see they are drilled.

so does the audi logo on the back just light up with his side lights ?

ide like to do that but ide have it black tinted so you cant always see it but then it lights up with my brake lights.

I quite liek the head unit,. the pedals i woudl have black, but they dotn look as bad as you described.

I dont like the seats either.

Sam
28-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Ta.

I'll race ya - I'm doing a write up on diesel engine technology and operating differences on the Golf forum. Perhaps if it looks OK when I've finished tweaking it, you can make the single post a sticky. ;)

Done - http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5780

If it's good enough, which I'm sure it will be, I don't see why not ;)

Flanders
01-03-2007, 09:05 PM
The Audi has a similar stlye to the MK-R GTI

http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/0703_ec_volkswagen_r_gti/

Maz
02-03-2007, 12:06 AM
looks good
http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/0703_ec_07_z+vw_r_gti+front_view.jpg

very slight!

madfella65
03-03-2007, 02:33 AM
I do think the bonnet on http://www.tunerzine.com/articles.asp?id=196 is pretty sweet!

Maz
03-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Very true, there are bits which really do suit the car but then he got a bit carried away!

Teutonic_Tamer
05-03-2007, 05:06 PM
the brakes are uprated "ECS Stage 2 kit: drilled/slotted rotors, stainless lines, ceramic pads"

And . . . . drilled aids cooling, slotted is just a sales gimick and does nothing for improving performance, stainless steel lines merely improve brake pedal feel and prevent "ballooning" losses at rubber hoses . . .

None of that lot actually improves braking effect! :hitwithro

they might not be huge

But that is crucial to braking performance - larger diameter discs = better leverage. Take for example tight wheel bolts - you get the wheel brace out of the boot, stick it on the bolt - and then try undoing the bolt with your hand as close to the bolt as possible - it wont budge, but the further away from the central pivot the more effective the leverage is multiplied.

but they are good brakes, you can see they are drilled.

:yawn: No, they are pants - maybe good to you, if your daily digest is MaxMuppets, I mean MaxPower and the likes, but they are no better than the standard brakes!

so does the audi logo on the back just light up with his side lights ?

No, it doesn't light up at all - it is just red paint! :chairshot

I quite liek the head unit,

ETTO - but the fit is awful, stands proud of the rest of the dash, is a different colour and finish . . . :puke:

the pedals i woudl have black, but they dotn look as bad as you described.

Oh, they are awful. Have a shufty at the RS4 or GTI/R32 pedals. :fing02:

inertia
05-03-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm sorry i respect yor knowledge of audis and you have helped me out before, but you are wrong at least twice here

1) the brakes are an improvement, even if its just because they dont heat up as fast as stock brakes, its still a braking improvement in the end, they are uprated. Yes bigger discs would be better, but stock brakes are fantastic any way, im sure these are adequate.

2) the back 4 rings of light is etched out, it isnt jsut painted on why would he etch it out just to paint it red. I guarantee it is a brake light , in fact i have evidance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Audi-A4-SHOW-CAR-MAGAZINE-COVER-CAR-600HP-800HP_W0QQitemZ300054644164QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6003 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Custom One-Off HAND CUT Illuminated "Irobot" Audi Rings in Trunklid - Also Serves as Third Brakelight

Maz
05-03-2007, 07:44 PM
That is a car to be proud of. What I don't get is he did all that work to the car, spent all that money and now is selling / sold it!

Huweth
05-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Why can't people stop ruining these poor defenseless cars!!!?
They look good when they leave the factory, and they still look good now.
They may have potential to look better, but most people don't have the decades of experience and professional training that the people who designed the cars have! Leave them alone!!!

They may also have the potential to perform better. Surely the purpose of a car is to be driven, not looked at. If thats the case, spend your money (if you must) on making the car move and stop better. You can't see the thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours you spent on the exterior when you are driving it. You CAN feel the new anti-roll bars or bigger brakes.

As you drive down the road with your standard car, showing off all the plastic and fake carbon fibre you stuck all over it, people are just looking at you thinking "What a T*t!".

If you want to make your car look like a Nissan or a Toyota, then buy one of them! If you want a 'wolf in sheeps clothing' car, stick with your German motor...

RickT
05-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Just going back to the start.... Im not taken with that kit on the A4 B5 at all..

RiCKT

Teutonic_Tamer
06-03-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry i respect yor knowledge of audis and you have helped me out before, but you are wrong at least twice here

1) the brakes are an improvement, even if its just because they dont heat up as fast as stock brakes, its still a braking improvement in the end, they are uprated. Yes bigger discs would be better, but stock brakes are fantastic any way, im sure these are adequate.

No. What part of my previous post do you not understand. The brake kit as listed will provide no improvement over standard brakes, in terms of braking effect. The ceramic pads will merely have a different coeficient of friction, and may actually be worse than standard pads, as they are probably meant to work in conjunction with ceramic discs!

Differences in heat build up do NOT make brakes more efficient in terms of brake effect!

Are you seriously trying to state that those pathetic weedy asthmatic brakes are any match for the massive increase in engine performance from the nitrous injection. Why the heck do you think that drag racers use brake parachutes!

Your quote: "stock brakes are fantastic any way, im sure these are adequate" - what have you been smoking. The stock brakes, and that includes the overall diameter, were deemed "satisfactory" for the standard 1.8 turbo, pushing around 150bhp. At no time has anyone, anywhere ever described those brakes as "fantastic". Now with 600bhp, are you still perched in cloud cuckoo-land, and still insisting that those brakes are still "adequate" . . . if so, well, the mind boggles . . . :aargh4:

2) the back 4 rings of light is etched out, it isnt jsut painted on why would he etch it out just to paint it red. I guarantee it is a brake light , in fact i have evidance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Audi-A4-SHOW-CAR-MAGAZINE-COVER-CAR-600HP-800HP_W0QQitemZ300054644164QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6003 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Fine, but as you may have guessed, I have no interest in the Pikey/ChavScum brigade, nor the "misguided" who think that everything in the MaxMuppets mags are gospel truth!

Secondly, the "so-called" brake light will not be either "E" approved for Europe, nor DOT approved for USA, so that makes it totally illegal! Your call.

As to "why" he did it - again, why ask me???? As the owner of the car, who clearly has more money than common sense, and as to his automobile engineering aptitute, well . . . how many race cars actually look like that!

Teutonic_Tamer
06-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Why can't people stop ruining these poor defenseless cars!!!?
They look good when they leave the factory, and they still look good now.
They may have potential to look better, but most people don't have the decades of experience and professional training that the people who designed the cars have! Leave them alone!!!

They may also have the potential to perform better. Surely the purpose of a car is to be driven, not looked at. If thats the case, spend your money (if you must) on making the car move and stop better. You can't see the thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours you spent on the exterior when you are driving it. You CAN feel the new anti-roll bars or bigger brakes.

As you drive down the road with your standard car, showing off all the plastic and fake carbon fibre you stuck all over it, people are just looking at you thinking "What a T*t!".

If you want to make your car look like a Nissan or a Toyota, then buy one of them! If you want a 'wolf in sheeps clothing' car, stick with your German motor...

How beautifully said - spot on Huweth

inertia
07-03-2007, 12:17 PM
No. What part of my previous post do you not understand. The brake kit as listed will provide no improvement over standard brakes, in terms of braking effect. The ceramic pads will merely have a different coeficient of friction, and may actually be worse than standard pads, as they are probably meant to work in conjunction with ceramic discs!

Differences in heat build up do NOT make brakes more efficient in terms of brake effect!

Are you seriously trying to state that those pathetic weedy asthmatic brakes are any match for the massive increase in engine performance from the nitrous injection. Why the heck do you think that drag racers use brake parachutes!

Your quote: "stock brakes are fantastic any way, im sure these are adequate" - what have you been smoking. The stock brakes, and that includes the overall diameter, were deemed "satisfactory" for the standard 1.8 turbo, pushing around 150bhp. At no time has anyone, anywhere ever described those brakes as "fantastic". Now with 600bhp, are you still perched in cloud cuckoo-land, and still insisting that those brakes are still "adequate" . . . if so, well, the mind boggles . . . :aargh4:

Fine, but as you may have guessed, I have no interest in the Pikey/ChavScum brigade, nor the "misguided" who think that everything in the MaxMuppets mags are gospel truth!

Secondly, the "so-called" brake light will not be either "E" approved for Europe, nor DOT approved for USA, so that makes it totally illegal! Your call.

As to "why" he did it - again, why ask me???? As the owner of the car, who clearly has more money than common sense, and as to his automobile engineering aptitute, well . . . how many race cars actually look like that!

get a grip, its obvious I read and understood what you wrote otherwise i wouldnt have argued against some of it. I have a physics degree, brakes with better cooling have more stopping power.

Energy can never be discarded, only transfered, you cannot just stop something in motion (kenetic energy) without the energy moving to another form. When a brake is applied the kenetic energy of the spinning wheel is converted into heat energy via friction between the pads and the disc, this is why the disc gets very hot.
The cooler the disc is the more kenetic energy can be transfered to heat energy, the hotter the disc is the more resistant it is to holding more heat, therefore the kenetic energy cannot be transfered as well.

Passing air removes heat from the disc alowing more kenetic energy to be transfered to heat energy via friction, however in cases where there is not enough passing air but lots of braking to do (for instance a huge truck comign down a steep hill slowly) the discs may absorb so much heat energy that they become saturated and friction becomes almost none existant and the brakes fail (i'm just giving this exampel to illustrate my explanation to its extreme).

Drilling and venting the discs increases their surface area so more air is contacting the disc as it blows over thus transfering heat energy away and allowing it to absorb more of the converted kenetic energy.

As for the looks of that (tunerzine) car, thats just down to personal taste, its ok if you dont like it, no one who does like it really cares, personaly i think it needs less stickers and loose the red towing eye on the outside, and then i think it looks awesome. but its opinion and preferance which i have every right to.

As for the brake light, i wasnt sayign ti was legal, i was just arguing it was a brake light and i think its pretty cool, i would like it. I think, but dont know it would be fine third brake lights arent as tight, you can get them for peanuts none e-coded and chuck them in the back of your nissan sunny taxi, no one ever got in trouble for that.

makes me laugh how you say its a '"so-called" brake light' as if to justify that you thought it was just painted. its a light that goes bright when he brakes, its a brake light, legal or not.

Sam
07-03-2007, 04:29 PM
And here endeth this post.

Or not.

It would appear this really isn't a "my dad's bigger than yours" debate but one of a more professional and passionate nature.

If this is the case, try to lay off the personal attacks.

And......

FIGHT

ding ding

Teutonic_Tamer
09-03-2007, 12:08 PM

get a grip, its obvious I read and understood what you wrote otherwise i wouldnt have argued against some of it. I have a physics degree, brakes with better cooling have more stopping power.

Righty, first off - thanks must go to Sam, for unlocking the thread again, after my "plea" ! ;)

fx/on <brushes gravel from knees and elbows, after profusely grovelling> fx/off :D

Secondly, I've got no desire of turning this thread into a mudslinging or slanging match. This is a public forum, whereby subscribed members can post, expressing advice, fact, or even opinion. When one person does submit a post, they must be able to fully respect the freedom of other contributors to respond, within the T&Cs as laid down by the owner, Stuart. You may not like the replies which are posted, you may not agree with them - but that is the simple "risk" you take when you post on forum like these. As the old saying goes "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"!

If you do wish to "take up arms", and respond to any criticisms leveled against you, then trying to "force" an issue, by hiding behind the simple theories an unrelated university degree will certainly NOT endear yourself to anyone here. In fact, you are more likey to "get peoples backs up", when you try tactics like that. As Sam quite rightly stated, this isn't the time or the place for antics like "my daddy is bigger than yours"! Stick with automotive facts, automotive qualifications (if you must drag them into it), automotive experience, and, by all means, any opinion - but make sure that an opinion remains an opinion!

Finally, this is an "automotive" forum. It is primarily aimed at cars from the Volkswagen Audi Group, and dealing with all aspects of purchasing, ownership, repairs & maintenance, running costs, tips & tricks, etc. As it is a UK based site, then common sense should prevail, and compliance with UK laws and other legislation should be the obvious "default", and take precidence. Of course we welcome other contributors from around the world, along with their own unique experiences, but that should not detract from the issue that this site will naturally be viewed with a very strong UK bias!

Energy can never be discarded, only transfered, you cannot just stop something in motion (kenetic energy) without the energy moving to another form. When a brake is applied the kenetic energy of the spinning wheel is converted into heat energy via friction between the pads and the disc, this is why the disc gets very hot.

I am fully aware of the "simple" laws of physics, pertinent to kinetic energy and heat! I'm also reasonably confident that other posters on this site are aware that brakes get "hot" when you use them!

The cooler the disc is the more kenetic energy can be transfered to heat energy, the hotter the disc is the more resistant it is to holding more heat, therefore the kenetic energy cannot be transfered as well.

To a point you are correct. But you completely miss the detailed points regarding automotive braking systems. Firstly, the heat generated is limited by the coeficient of friction of the brake pad on the brake disc (AND the interaction between the grip of the tyre on the road surface). This is "fixed" by the compound of the brake pad, and it's interaction with a specific disc material (metalic, primarily iron). Furthermore, specific compounds of pads can tollerate different levels of heat. A bog-standard "road" pad will be able to tollerate temperatures of upto say X deg C. If this threshold is reached, then a substitution for "fast-road" pads, with an increased temperature threshhold of upto X+Y deg C, or a "race" pad, upto X+Y+Z deg C. All of these pads are "organic" compounds (asbestos free), and have varying amounts of sintered metalic particles embedded in the compound (which is why brake discs also wear out much quicker these days).

Ceramic pads are designed to work with ceramic, or composite material, rather than metalic discs. If those so-called "ceramic" pads did work on "metalic" discs, then they arn't actually a true ceramic pad!

You completely fail to mention one vitaly crucial issue in your argument, regarding the ability to "store" the heat, AND the potential for that heat.

The ability to "store" the heat is determined by the mass of the brake disc. Nothing else comes into that particular equation! A heavier brake disc will store, and tollerate a higher quantity of heat.

Additionally, in a very simple sentance - TOTAL MASS (or weight, to use the "simpler" term). A vehicle/car with a greater mass travelling at the same speed as a lighter one will posess more potential energy. To stop any car, that potential energy needs to be converted into kinetic energy. A car, with a greater mass, developing greater potential energy, WILL need to disipate greater kinetic energy. As the example you quoted in tunerzone (or whatever it was) was not only modifed with a 400% increase in power, more importantly, the mass/weight of the car was also substantially (though not actually quoted!) increased. The addition of three sturdy nitrous bottles, and the associated plumbing and general hardware for the nitrous. Then there is the mightily considerable ICE install, with amps, heavy gauge wiring, monitors, sub-woofers, etc, ect. The combined elements of the massive increased performance, along with the substantial increased mass, are the basic and simple factors in determining that the brakes on that car are woefully inadequate! They are clearly being asked to operate way beyond their original design specifications, by truely massive proportions!

Passing air removes heat from the disc alowing more kenetic energy to be transfered to heat energy via friction, however in cases where there is not enough passing air but lots of braking to do (for instance a huge truck comign down a steep hill slowly) the discs may absorb so much heat energy that they become saturated and friction becomes almost none existant and the brakes fail (i'm just giving this exampel to illustrate my explanation to its extreme).

I can only agree with you partially, in that statement. Unfortunately, you failed to give any further, detailed explanations, pertinent to car designs. Futhermore, you completely failed to mention the "other" sources of heat dissipation; the important one being conduction!

The air passing over the brake disc area is limited by the fundamental design of the vehicle. On any road vehicle, along with racing cars (and racing trucks!), this specific area of design is a crude compromise - to merely comply with the conditions prevalent for the said vehicles' design brief and its subsequent use.

A Formula 1 car offers the easiest way to see and understand this. Each wheel has "air scoops" which stick out into the airflow. This airflow is created only from the forward motion of the car (F1 cars tend not to use their brakes much, or go very fast, when reversing ;) :D ). The said collected airflow is then ducted onto the brake discs and calipers. This, as stated, is a compromise. Too big an air scoop: you get more/better air for cooling the brakes, BUT, you create increased aerodynamic drag, and reduce speed. Too small an air scoop, and you reduce the aero drag, increasing top speed, BUT, you then reduce the cooling for the brakes. An F1 car will have many different designs of air scoops, for different race circuit charactersitics; high top speed, but low braking requirement will deem a small scoop, whereas low top speeds and high braking requirements (such as Monte Carlo) will have much larger air scoops. Then there is changes in ambient temperatures, rain, wind speed, wind direction . . . . Whilst all those variables can be accomodated on an F1, and indeed most race cars, on road cars, they can NOT!

Drilling and venting the discs increases their surface area so more air is contacting the disc as it blows over thus transfering heat energy away and allowing it to absorb more of the converted kenetic energy.

Again, your are right - upto a point! Let's leave the central, internal venting on discs aside, purely on the gounds that they are now standard on virtually all cars with any level of "adequate" performance, and that they were standard on that car in question.

However, what you completely fail to understand with the "drilling" issue, are two important facts. Firstly, to give you credit, you are perfectly correct in stating drilling increases the surface area. But that is not any of the main, or significant reasons why they are drilled.

The primary reason for drilling is NOT to improve cooling. It is actualy done to dissipate the excess gasses produced by the pads alone, under severe braking. This gas bleeds through the drilled holes on the face of the disc, and dissipates through the central venting. This helps to noticeably reduce brake fade, and thereby maintain braking effect consistency. Disc drilling does NOT increase the overall efficiency, in terms of available total braking effect!

And as for grooved discs, you didn't even come back with an answer to that one!

As for the looks of that (tunerzine) car, thats just down to personal taste, its ok if you dont like it, no one who does like it really cares, personaly i think it needs less stickers and loose the red towing eye on the outside, and then i think it looks awesome. but its opinion and preferance which i have every right to.

Oh, absolutely. You are spot on, and perfectly entitled to your own personal opinion - you like it, and I, to a certian degree also like it. I too share your concerns about the towing eye, and also the stickers. But the stickers seem to be a "requirement" for the sponsorship! However, we seem to have slightly different opinions regarding the interior, and the brakes ! ;)

As for the brake light, i wasnt sayign ti was legal, i was just arguing it was a brake light and i think its pretty cool, i would like it. I think, but dont know it would be fine third brake lights arent as tight, you can get them for peanuts none e-coded and chuck them in the back of your nissan sunny taxi, no one ever got in trouble for that.

makes me laugh how you say its a '"so-called" brake light' as if to justify that you thought it was just painted. its a light that goes bright when he brakes, its a brake light, legal or not.

Firstly, it was you, not me, who stated it was a "brake light". Now, by definition in UK law, a brake light must emit the light output of a 21W bulb, and must also have the appropriate type approval. To be completely pedantic, if you had stated something like "the four rings in the boot lid which light up with the brakes" - then I wouldn't have taken an issue. I personally think it looks quite cool, too, but I certainly would not label it as a brake light!

In terms of "aftermarket" add-on 3rd brake lights, again I don't have an issue - there is no requirement for any type approval, in exactly the same logic when fitting flashing indicators to a Morris Minor with semaphore arms! However, that particular car does have to have a 3rd brake light, and so it does need to be type approved. Fortunately, that car in question seems to have the original still inside the rear screen.

Sam
09-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Secondly, I've got no desire of turning this thread into a mudslinging or slanging match. This is a public forum, whereby subscribed members can post, expressing advice, fact, or even opinion. When one person does submit a post, they must be able to fully respect the freedom of other contributors to respond, within the T&Cs as laid down by the owner, Stuart. You may not like the replies which are posted, you may not agree with them - but that is the simple "risk" you take when you post on forum like these. As the old saying goes "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"!

If you do wish to "take up arms", and respond to any criticisms leveled against you, then trying to "force" an issue, by hiding behind the simple theories an unrelated university degree will certainly NOT endear yourself to anyone here. In fact, you are more likey to "get peoples backs up", when you try tactics like that. As Sam quite rightly stated, this isn't the time or the place for antics like "my daddy is bigger than yours"! Stick with automotive facts, automotive qualifications (if you must drag them into it), automotive experience, and, by all means, any opinion - but make sure that an opinion remains an opinion!

Finally, this is an "automotive" forum. It is primarily aimed at cars from the Volkswagen Audi Group, and dealing with all aspects of purchasing, ownership, repairs & maintenance, running costs, tips & tricks, etc. As it is a UK based site, then common sense should prevail, and compliance with UK laws and other legislation should be the obvious "default", and take precidence. Of course we welcome other contributors from around the world, along with their own unique experiences, but that should not detract from the issue that this site will naturally be viewed with a very strong UK bias!

For this wonderfully eloquent piece of prose, I, Sam, give you, Sean, some rep.

I wont however, be doing the "Ali G" wrist flick that usually accompanies the giving of respect.

Teutonic_Tamer
09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
For this wonderfully eloquent piece of prose, I, Sam, give you, Sean, some rep.

I wont however, be doing the "Ali G" wrist flick that usually accompanies the giving of respect.

ROTFLMAO - oh, you got me big time with that! :D

Thanks, five green pillows now - wo ho! :banana: :friday:

BTW, to do an "Ali-G", then it is "rezpek" ;) :fing02:

:beerchug:

Maz
09-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Well I am glad you have kissed and made up but it looks like someone forgot what the post was about in the first place;)