PDA

View Full Version : Post Crash Advice / Passat Part Identity

SteveC123
02-01-2009, 09:51 PM
i recently front ended my B5.5 Passat and have decided to repair it myself as much as possible.

I'm having trouble with the following:

1. Airbag Reset: Having noticed that a number of companies sell an airbag reset tool on eBay, I'm wondering do I need one of these?

Both front airbags went off, and I have a pair of these together with their control module on the way, so will I need to perform a reset once this module is in place?

If so, can it be done with a generic aftermarket VAG-COM cable?

If not, can it be done with an official, full on VAG-COM setup, as I have access to this if needs be, or do I need to buy one of these tools to do it?

Also, will I need to replace the front seatbelts, as I'm presuming they would have had an explosive pretensioner that went off as part of the airbag trigger.

2. I've identified and acquired nigh on everything I need to repair the car. The one thing I can't identify is what would have sat in front of the ABS unit as you look into the engine bay from the front of the car with the bonnet open.

At the mo, I've got a mangled metal bracket sitting there that would have been under a plastic cover which also has the PAS fluid bottle lid poking through it, but I can't see anything obvious in the remains swept up post crash and dumped in my boot, that looks like it would have obviously fitted in this bracket - any ideas?

TIA for any advice. :-)

Col
02-01-2009, 10:34 PM
i recently front ended my B5.5 Passat and have decided to repair it myself as much as possible.

I'm having trouble with the following:

1. Airbag Reset: Having noticed that a number of companies sell an airbag reset tool on eBay, I'm wondering do I need one of these?

Both front airbags went off, and I have a pair of these together with their control module on the way, so will I need to perform a reset once this module is in place?

If so, can it be done with a generic aftermarket VAG-COM cable?

If not, can it be done with an official, full on VAG-COM setup, as I have access to this if needs be, or do I need to buy one of these tools to do it?

Also, will I need to replace the front seatbelts, as I'm presuming they would have had an explosive pretensioner that went off as part of the airbag trigger.

2. I've identified and acquired nigh on everything I need to repair the car. The one thing I can't identify is what would have sat in front of the ABS unit as you look into the engine bay from the front of the car with the bonnet open.

At the mo, I've got a mangled metal bracket sitting there that would have been under a plastic cover which also has the PAS fluid bottle lid poking through it, but I can't see anything obvious in the remains swept up post crash and dumped in my boot, that looks like it would have obviously fitted in this bracket - any ideas?

TIA for any advice. :-)

The only things that should be under the plastic cover by the PAS bottle are a few wiring connectors. I know the cooling fan and the aircon compressor feeds are connected there and hang onto that steel bracket.