PDA

View Full Version : Audi TT Overheating ! Is it the water pump ?

tinkerdeb
27-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi. I have just bought an Audi TT Roadster 1.8L 225bhp Yr 2002 from a trader, and within an hour of buying it, it began overheating. The dial went into the red and a bleep sound came on for a few seconds. I took it back to the trader who initially thought it was an air lock, because the internal heater was blowing hot air up towards the windscreen but cold air down on the feet. I had to leave the car with him so he could check it out further. He thought he may have to drain the radiator but wasn't entirely sure where the bleeder was on a TT for the radiator. I phoned the following day to see if he had discovered what the problem was. He told me he'd fixed the heater problem, but had to book the Audi in for a new water pump to be fitted. Does this sound plausible, are the two problems connected, or was the heater problem a red herring ? and is there anything else I should be made aware of for example any damage to the cylinder head or head gasket. Your comments are eagerly awaited. Thanks. Tinkerdeb.

tinkerdeb
28-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Have now resolved the overheating problem. It was the water pump that was cracked. Whilst replacing the pump, they also replaced the cambelt. ;) I'll let you know if I have any more problems.
:beerchug:

richml
16-03-2007, 03:21 PM
sensible thing to do cos you would have needed to change the belts soon anyway and spent the same time and money again on the labour.

supa_greg
27-04-2009, 10:20 AM
The same thing has happened to my TT. Any idea on how much i am going to be charged for all the work?? Thanks

tinkerdeb
27-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Sorry Greg :confused:

It was under warranty so I've no idea how much it cost in the end...If I recall correctly think the labour was more than the pump !!

supa_greg
28-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Thats what ive been told. I got quoted £400 to including both labour and parts. Its off to the garage today, so fingers crossed. Just hope the head gasket is ok :(

Thanks for your prompt response though, much appreciated.