PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problems, no brake lights

wookiee_rob
27-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi

Got a 92 Scirocco GTII.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I found my brake lights weren't working the other day, checked the bulbs, fuse and pedal switch, as well as circuit from switch to lights in rear clusters and all fine, so I must have a problem not getting power from the circuit coming from the battery and fuse box.

I took the fuse box off to have a look (disconnected the battery to make sure I didnt damage anythin) and after playing around with things, found myself with more electrical problems! I found the car started but cut out a few times, then started fine, and turned on most elctrical items to check they worked, which they did, but then by turning off the main beam the engine cut out! Then later the car would only start with the main beam switch stalk pressed in! All very weird. Then the car reverted back to normal and seems ok again now.

The car has stalled on me a few times recently but I thought that was a probel to do with the carb that I know I have and not an electricla one, although normally with the carb prob the car starts up again immediately, and recently I've had to wait a while before the care will start again which makes me think it might eb electrical instead.

I was wondering if I have a dodgy relay or other component that is playing up, and that maybe the car cutting out and the brake lights not working properly are related. Or could it be that I have had some water get into the fuse box and knackered a few connections.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions people can give me else I'll be heading to some car electrics garage soon to get myself a big bill!

Rob

Col
27-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Agreed, earth fault by the sounds of it. Check the battery neg and the strap that goes from the engine to the chassis.

wookiee_rob
28-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I'll check the connections as soon as I can.

I found out that when I push on or acidentally knock the connections coming out of the back of the ignition then this causes the car to stall, and will often not start until after a few tries. It could be due to some dodgy connections coming from the old alarm system that is connected to the igntion, or just becuase of a dodgy earth as you suggest.

Any more suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

cotton
27-03-2008, 11:21 PM
sounds like the ign switch .ie the back part of the switch