PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Sorry. Another key question

JayCeeOhh
01-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi All,

Almost apologetic asking but I'm really confused about purchasing a spare key fob and key for my '52 Passat. Seems to be a lot of advice on here but some of it contradictory.

Can I buy a 2nd hand fob with the same part number and mhz as my current key off ebay, buy a blank blade, get that cut as per mine, marry it up to my car for unlocking etc and then take it to someone with the necessary software to sort out the immobiliser?

The bit I'm concerned about is the comments relating to the fob having to be brand new for it to be reprogrammed to my immobiliser. Can a used one do this? Don't want to go through the effort of getting the stuff off ebay if it'll never start my car.:confused:

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Cheers and all the best for 2009,

Jay

JayCeeOhh
04-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Bedtime bump ;)

caldirun
04-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi All,

Almost apologetic asking but I'm really confused about purchasing a spare key fob and key for my '52 Passat. Seems to be a lot of advice on here but some of it contradictory.

Can I buy a 2nd hand fob with the same part number and mhz as my current key off ebay, buy a blank blade, get that cut as per mine, marry it up to my car for unlocking etc and then take it to someone with the necessary software to sort out the immobiliser?

The bit I'm concerned about is the comments relating to the fob having to be brand new for it to be reprogrammed to my immobiliser. Can a used one do this? Don't want to go through the effort of getting the stuff off ebay if it'll never start my car.:confused:

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Cheers and all the best for 2009,

Jay

I have done just this for my 02, the fob is not the problem it tells you in the handbook how to do this. Where I stumbled was the key, cutting is not a problem, though expensive and difficult to find someone to do it, the real problem is the transponder inside the key, if your cluster has immobiliser III (my 02 has it, so its a almost certain on yours) the transponder is locked to the previous immobiliser with a write-once bit being set. I tried many ways to reset this bit but no go. I can tell you where to buy transponders and how to fit them and also how to get the software to program them, but in all honesty I would recommend an independent car locksmith, it will be cheaper!