PDA

View Full Version : Illuminated interior door handles

Darren C
01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi Guy's

Just changed over my Illuminated door handles for another set in Platinum Grey, so have a full set for sale in Black on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A4-S4-B7-Interior-Door-Handles-Illuminated-Upgrade_W0QQitemZ300284179025QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item300284179 025&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Easy upgrade for the B7 owner who thought they had everything!

Kind Regards
Darren

Flakmunky
03-01-2009, 09:22 AM
How much are these from Audi?

Darren C
03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi,

I think there around £30 each from Audi.

Maybe more for the drivers door with the central locking switches.

Regards
Darren

kodkod.84
03-01-2009, 01:52 PM
What are the silver dish things shown on 3 of the handles but not the drivers handle?

Turbokiisseli
03-01-2009, 03:05 PM
That's where the interior door grab handles attach.

Heathy
04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
So if my car doesn't have these, and i got some how do i know if my car has the electrics in place already?

And is that price on the bay for all 4?

Cheers....

Darren C
04-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi,

The auction is for the whole set of 4.

The only way you'll know if your car has the leads is to remove a door panel and take a look at the loom behind, that's on the door card. You may have a lead that's free with a small plug on the end.

If not, it's just a case of picking up an earth and power feed from the wire that powers the little red light in the window switch.

Kind regards
Darren

Heathy
04-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Cheers Darren, i will have a look!!

Darren C
08-01-2009, 10:26 PM
The handles went to a forum member:D

For the benefit of readers I was asked how the door handles are changed over; so here you are.

Starting with the rear doors.

Pull forward (away from the door)the trim (either ali, carbon or walnut) strip at the front end of the car, working towards the back of the car pull the trip from its clips. The thin end at the rear has a Hook, when all clips are free slide trim strip forward to disengage.

Behind it is 3 phillips screws (4 on front doors) two above handle and a sneaky one at the rear end of the panel. Remove screws.

Kneeing down look up under the arm rest there is a single phillips screw along way up a hole. Use a long reach screw driver to remove. (this is a real sod to put back in later)
Once all screws are out, pry panel of the door starting from bottom work upwards to unclip. Be careful at the top as there are two tiny clips on the panel about level with the trim strip.
When all the clips are free, lift the panel up to release it by the window edge along the top. You may need to raise it one end a little and then the other to get it out.

Once free it'll have two wires and the cable door release attached. This is where you need a friend to hold the panel in mid air if you want to avoid scratches.
From the top reach behind and pull the cable out of the door handle clip (towards door) then you can un hook it from the handle itself.

From the front reach in and remove the cable connector joined between door and speaker. (squeeze the release tabs together to remove it while pulling out)
From front underneath reach in and unclip the last cable from window switch to motor.(on the drivers side the release tab is against the door, on the passenger side its easier as it faces you (rear doors)

The panel is now free!

Lay it on a piece of carpet face down. remove all tex head screws in the arm rest and 1 at the handle end, release armrest, will hang on switch cable for now.
On the back of the door handle there is a short tex screw and a clip, remove screw and pry clip towards back of car end of panel. Handle will now release on front end. Unhook at rear to free from panel.

AS SIMPLE AS THAT!!!!!

Refitting is in reverse. To wire in lights you may have a spare loose lead on the back of the panel (dependant on trim level of your car) simply clip it into light socket on handle. If you dont have these then you'll need to attach a new live and earth with a tiny plug (rom AUDI) on the end to the cable feeding the light in the window switch.

Front.

Basically the same as the rear but with a phillips screw at the bottom of the panel in the centre. Take this out, as it splays open a plastic post to hold the panel tight on the door.

Drivers door doesn't have the screw under the armrest (thankfully) there is an oval trim panel in the cup of the arm rest where your fingers go when you close the door. Pry this up at the end facing you to remove. Theres 2 phillips screws behind it. With the aid of a friend to hold the panel when you un clip it you can swop the handle over easily as the arm rest doesnt go into the handle on this door. (unless you need to re wire)

The only difference on the wire plugs on the front doors is that they are connected to a small ecu, so instead of releasing a tab to disconect you have to pull down an over centre (purple colour) retaining saddle clip.
You'll understand when you see it.

I can do them in my sleep now!

If your careful you wont break any clips.

Also last tip, when you put them back on make sure they sit down correctly in the channel along the bottom of the window glass, they can sit high and still clip on ok, looks awful from outside looking in through the window.

Good Luck

Kind Regards
Darren C

kaab0
10-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Ah Darren the expert how ya doin!!! Fancy sleep walking to Heathrow and doin a fitment then? :biglaugh: