PDA

View Full Version : Question Any help appricated

kerj
01-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I have a 1999 "S" reg mk4 Golf and today it has started showing the exclamation mark warning. The icon flashes for several times with an audible beeping. Then goes away and repeats.
The manual has stated it is a brake system warning?

What should I be looking for?

Has anyone experienced similar and know what I need to do to get it fixed and back running normally.

Crasher
01-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Check the brake fluid level. The Golf 4 rear calipers have a nasty habit of losing fluid from the banjo union due to the use of a stupid aluminium washer against a steel fitting. The washer corrodes and fluid leaks out. I have had some instances where this has caused near complete break failure.

kerj
02-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Crasher,
Many thanks for the response. I checked the level which looks OK, but today I took the car for a short journey and the pedal seems to go long now. I think I might be better getting it in to a garage for opinion.

Thanks again.

FLENG2008
02-01-2009, 09:00 PM
The Beeping Could Be Your Brake Warning, Meaning The Brake Pads Could Be Low, Hence The Pedal Travelling Further Down

kerj
02-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Fleng2008 thanks for the info. Not sure I had been advised there would be a grating or grunching noise should the pads be low. Maybe VW have the sensors a safe distance from the end of the pad to ensure you don't get to a critical level.

Thanks again, I think the garage is the next stop and let them investigate further.