PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting level of instrument lighting?

wid77
26-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to dim the dashboard lights on a 2001 A4? It says in the manual that it should be possible to alter the level of brightness by turning the 'adjuster button'. However, this doesn't seem to do anything on my car. Thanks.

Gogsys A4
27-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Yes i was looking for that in my 2001 A4 as well.
The only thing i can see is the headlamp adjuster.
Thats maybe what you are adjusting on your one mate, the height adjustment.
Hopefully some one can help us out.
The lights are a little to bright.

:1zhelp:

Anzee
27-02-2007, 11:24 AM
I dont think you can if your car is an SE then maybe [but then again im not entirely sure] cuz mines also a 51 plate A4 and whilst at the Audi garage the guy said simply that it didnt have the feature as its a S.

wid77
27-02-2007, 07:49 PM
My car is one of the last of the B4 model if that makes any difference. The adjuster button indicated in the manual is near to the rev counter (or maybe the speedo). One of the small push-in buttons that can can also be used to change service intervals, rest trip recorder etc. I have tried turning these but they don't turn.

Anyone know if it is possible to dim the lighting on this model? Cheers.

gary_m
27-02-2007, 10:54 PM
I have a B5 model and the 'clock' adjuster pin (analogue clock) is used to change the brightness of the panel lights - it is turned clockwise to increase the brightness and anti-clockwise to decrease the brightness (without pushing or pulling on the pin - as this gives it other functions).

wid77
27-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I have a B5 model and the 'clock' adjuster pin (analogue clock) is used to change the brightness of the panel lights - it is turned clockwise to increase the brightness and anti-clockwise to decrease the brightness (without pushing or pulling on the pin - as this gives it other functions).

The clock in mine is digital so i think it's different. Thanks for the info though. Anyone know about the B4 model? Cheers.

gary_m
27-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Do you notice any variations in the brightness? I know that in some cars (but not sure about Audis) that some dashboard displays can adjust themselves automatically based on the amount of light they receive - i.e. a bit darker at night than during the day.

tony_anon
28-02-2007, 10:34 AM
In mine (A4 B6), the dashboard display (the increase/decrease buttons near the digital clock; trip reset button; service indicator button; check button) seem to get BRIGHTER when its bright/sunny outside. They DECREASE in brightness when its darker. All automatically. Shouldn't it be the other way round or am I missing something?!

gary_m
28-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Shouldn't it be the other way round or am I missing something?!

You've missed something :D They need to be brighter in more intense light, otherwise they would be difficult to read, and dimmer at night, or they would dazzle you :approve:

tony_anon
28-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for clearing that up mate!

madfella65
03-03-2007, 02:38 AM
do you guys have a + & - button on the left side of the cluster? this adjusts the brightness on the dash radio etc on my 03 plate a4

wid77
05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
do you guys have a + & - button on the left side of the cluster? this adjusts the brightness on the dash radio etc on my 03 plate a4

There isn't a + or - button on my car which is a 2001 year model (B4 i think). I have come to the conclusion that mine can't be adjusted which is a bit surprising as i thought it would be able to be adjusted somehow. Cheers.