PDA

View Full Version : too much wax?

jackg
01-01-2009, 08:09 AM
On a 1996 TDI saloon in Dragon Green metallic.
On the roof between the sun roof and the windscreen the paint has a greyish discoloured sheen. This surface has started to chip away to reveal nice normal green paintwork underneath.
I would like to remove all of this sheen which may be too much wax or finish of some kind. I have used some 0000 wire wool on it which removes it in a white dust form. I had thought of using T-Cut but it cuts back the point as well.
Any ideas folks?

scotty33
04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi

I would be surprised if this is just wax? If it is it should be able to be dissolved with 'panel wipe' which is the solvent body repairers use to remove polish etc before respraying. You may find petrol or paint thinners would do the job - with these there is some risk of damaging the paint or trim.
Without seeing it it's hard to say, but I suspect what you may have is a problem where the clear lacquer is peeling off from the dragon green basecoat? Only real solution to this is to rub down the affected area until the lacquer has been removed and respray.
It may be worth posting this in the 'detailing' forum maybe they would have some better ideas?