PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan perminantly on

Winston11
31-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi All, My Radiator fan is perminantly staying on, even from start up. Anyone have any ideas what would cause this ? ?
Oh forgot to say, my car is a '93 Audi 80 Avant - 2.0E

Many thanks In advance
Richard

scotty33
01-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi,

This could be the fan switch, I think it is on the plastic pipe on the side of the cylinder head. One is blue and the other I think grey, One for the fan, the other is for the ECU (for cold enrichment) I forget which is which, just disconnect them in turn, if the fan does not shut off the problem is elsewhere.

Other thing to check is the fan relay, this may be in the fuse box or under the dash, again just pull/refit the relays one at a time until you find the one that kills the fan?

auroan
02-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Ignore the above !

The radiator fan switch is on the back of the radiator half way down on the right hand side (in the engine bay looking from the windscreen to the front)

It's held in by a massive hex nut which forms part of the sensor/switch.

A replacment cost less than a tenner from GSF parts.

I had this exact issue on my 1993 K reg 2.0E avant which I fixed over xmas.

Winston11
02-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out in the morning. Any chance you know the part no. for this part from GSF?
Thanks
Richard

auroan
02-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Part number is 893-959-481, invoiced at £8.50.

Hope this helps.

Easy way of testing is pulling the connector and the fans should turn off.

scotty33
03-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Ignore the above !

The radiator fan switch is on the back of the radiator half way down on the right hand side (in the engine bay looking from the windscreen to the front)

It's held in by a massive hex nut which forms part of the sensor/switch.

A replacment cost less than a tenner from GSF parts.

I had this exact issue on my 1993 K reg 2.0E avant which I fixed over xmas.

Sorry for duff information, and thanks for correcting me!

The coolant sysytem switch I was referring to is obviously for something else, maybe the autocheck overtemp alarm?

auroan
05-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Did you manage to fix the problem ?

Winston11
05-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi, I've ordered the part today, will fit at the weekend. Many thanks for the advice.