PDA

View Full Version : Please Help a check engine light: vw beetle

steve555
31-12-2008, 02:38 PM
hello forum members

I have the following problems on my 2002 VW beetle

a check engine light was coming on intermittetly and now staying on all the time

ther also seems like a rattling noise under the car from the exhaust

also for some strange reason both my brake lights blew out- not sure if all this is connected?

the engine oil was also low and so i topped this up - but the light remains on

I have brought a VAGCOM cable and loaded the shareware VAGCOM SOFTWARE but the engine controller doesnt seem to be responding despite the test signal being OK

any advice on this and in particular getting the VAGCOM to work as that probably my first step in nailing down the problem

hope its not the cat....

cheers

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/applied/misc/progress.gif steve http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/applied/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=289943)

kite
31-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Brake light problem could be the switch on the pedal.
The rattle could be the heat shield under the car.

steve555
31-12-2008, 03:01 PM
THANKS at least rattling may be down to somthing else which is some hope....

steve

juliedorman
10-01-2009, 02:23 PM
hello forum members

I have the following problems on my 2002 VW beetle

a check engine light was coming on intermittetly and now staying on all the time

ther also seems like a rattling noise under the car from the exhaust

also for some strange reason both my brake lights blew out- not sure if all this is connected?

the engine oil was also low and so i topped this up - but the light remains on

I have brought a VAGCOM cable and loaded the shareware VAGCOM SOFTWARE but the engine controller doesnt seem to be responding despite the test signal being OK

any advice on this and in particular getting the VAGCOM to work as that probably my first step in nailing down the problem

hope its not the cat....

cheers

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/applied/misc/progress.gif steve http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/applied/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=289943)
Hi there, did you resolve this in the end? I have got a VW 2000 2litre, it has always had a funny rattle, but this week the exhaust emissions warning lamp came on, I took it to a garage for checking and the emissions are very poor and it would not pass an MOT. It is booked in for the oxygen sensors to be replaced on Tuesday but I am very worried as they cannot say for sure this will resolve it as this is run by the ECU (is that correct?) and I believe that will cost a lot more to replace. I do not know whether just to trade in the car as I have had so much bad luck with other cars prior to owning this one, but then it could possibly be resolved with new oxygen sensors. Apart from this the car is running fine.
Julie

steve555
11-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Hi there, did you resolve this in the end? I have got a VW 2000 2litre, it has always had a funny rattle, but this week the exhaust emissions warning lamp came on, I took it to a garage for checking and the emissions are very poor and it would not pass an MOT. It is booked in for the oxygen sensors to be replaced on Tuesday but I am very worried as they cannot say for sure this will resolve it as this is run by the ECU (is that correct?) and I believe that will cost a lot more to replace. I do not know whether just to trade in the car as I have had so much bad luck with other cars prior to owning this one, but then it could possibly be resolved with new oxygen sensors. Apart from this the car is running fine.
Julie

hi julie still trying to diagnose the problem- as my light went out for a few hours ( after I topped up the oil) but then it came back again!

so its back to trying to get some computer codes off the car

my mot is also due next month and so want to try and sort out before then

the oxgen sensors is not a massive job- what would be more problematic would be the cat which is the approx 250-300 pounds ( if you get a third party cat)

I'll keep you up to speed as to what is going on and what the solution is and can you do like wise?

thanks

steve

juliedorman
13-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi Steve

Car went in to garage today, I am £312 poorer from having the new Oxygen Cylinders done but the emissions level is ok now. The mechanic had said the half of the reading and error codes pointed towards the oxygen cylinders but he could not say for sure so huge relief. I ran over a badger just before Christmas too and had to replace the radiator (my husband and mechanic friend did this, not realising that the front of the car would have to come off). It seems a huge coincidence that the emissions went haywire two weeks after having lost all the radiator fluid but the mechanic thinks it is unconnected. I still have a funny rattle but it is under the front (almost where my feet are), the car has done almost 60,000 miles so the cam belt will need replacing soon and all the lighter/12v sockets do not work as something has blown and you cannot even put a fuse in! I only bought this car 6 months ago so a bad start, and had a lot of bad luck before that with both family cars which both had to be scrapped and replaced! I will have to work on getting the other bits and pieces done when I am better off! Is your car running ok? if the oxygen sensors did not resolve it I would have maybe traded it in but would have lost out financially after only having it for 6 months, let me know if you resolve ok in the end. Good luck.
Julie

steve555
13-01-2009, 10:58 PM
thanks Julie for the comprehensive update and hope you have better luck with your Bug from now on.
Mine is running OK but the check engine light still on and I cant seem to get the VAGCOM to link up so I cant get into error codes.

MOT is coming up so will be assuming the worst.....

By the way my lighter/ 12v socket also blew- but if you swap the horn fuse for the 12v cig lighter socket fusethen you should be ok until you can geta spare fuse

thanks again

steve

steve555
16-02-2009, 04:46 PM
hi i finally got the codes for the check engine light for my vw beetle 2001

they are as follows
17831- secodary air injection b1 flow too low
16502- engine coolant temp circuit - high input (low temP)

and when i cleared the folowing code appeared 16500- engine coolant temp circuit- range/ perfomance problem

any help on what needs to be done to sort this

thanks steve n
:confused:

kite
16-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Might be an idea to change the temp. sensor....

steve555
16-02-2009, 05:36 PM
cheers

I have had a few starting prblems recently

sometimes car starts fisrt time

other times afdter a journey to shops - come to start again and then wont start until after 10-15 attempts

steve:biglaugh:

a9 wyn
29-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I had the same problem with my 2.0 ltr NB changed the water temp probe to a Green one problem solved