PDA

View Full Version : Attention High Revs on Multitronic

Kj5cott
31-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Hi, just to advise I had my car back at the dealer recently as I was experiencing high revs and wrong geer selection intermitantly. The problem was mainly when driving at between 60 - 70mph on motorway. The car was in sticking in 4th or 5th gear when should have been in 8th as normal. I kept on changing up the gears manually with the paddles and was becoming concerened. This only happened every few thousand miles.

The dealer checked the car and advised that new Audi diesels are advanced in that they do not give out the ploom of black smoke whilst accelerating like other cars. As part of this process the car stores the carbon deposits in a chamber the size of 2 litre lemonade bottle until full then burns it off. To burn it off the chamber is heated to 800 degress c and to do this the engine has to work hard and keep high revs to bring the temperature up to complete the cycle.

By changing up the gears, thinking htere was an error, I was delaying this process and could have caused damage.

If you've got a diesel multitronic this might be worth knowing, your not going mad and there is no fault with the car.

Thought I'd share this as nice to know whats going on behind the scenes.

Kevin:Blush:

alexcf
31-12-2008, 01:07 PM
So I wonder how this works on a manual car then... Oh, I suppose there are lower emissions on the automagics.

kodkod.84
31-12-2008, 01:15 PM
800 degrees- that's pretty damn hot! No wonder the engine has to work so hard, sounds like you could do with a little nuclear power cell to heat that chamber up :D