PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Front Brakes

stua4
26-02-2007, 08:23 PM
On my Audi service recently they said the front brakes were binding and suggested stripping them. I hadn't noticed anything so said no, over the weekend the passenger disc gets red hot and has started to smell. Should I just strip and rebuild? Any idea's on possible greasing points etc.?
Still can't find a haynes manual for the B6!

2.0 petrol sport btw

Thanks

JR001
26-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Hiya,
There is no manual for B6 A4, but there is one for A3 up to 2003 and I suppose there are many similarities in terms of the mechanics involved.

How old are your brakes - pads and discs?

When was brake fluid replaced?

ELSAWIN is CD version of workshop manual and available on ebay at silly prices. It's mostly ok, but certainly very good for the brakes.

Cheers.

stua4
28-02-2007, 06:02 PM
They also suggested changing the brake fluid.
I guess i need a day working on my car this weekend.
Need to;
Strip front brakes
Change brake Fluid
Change Coolant temp sensor
Also need to change the air filter and plug, any reccomendations?
Thanks in advance.

JR001
28-02-2007, 06:10 PM
PM me your email address and I will get stuff to you.

JOHN

stua4
28-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks JR, pm sent

Sam
01-03-2007, 11:17 AM
May I politely remind you both that ELSAwin is dealer only software.

Teutonic_Tamer
01-03-2007, 02:19 PM
On my Audi service recently they said the front brakes were binding and suggested stripping them. I hadn't noticed anything so said no, over the weekend the passenger disc gets red hot and has started to smell. Should I just strip and rebuild? Any idea's on possible greasing points etc.?
Still can't find a haynes manual for the B6!

2.0 petrol sport btw

Thanks

Factory manual from B6 Passat - same front anchors as yours : http://volkswagen.msk.ru/brake/b6/b6_46-01.pdf

What model year is your car (not year of registration!) - can be found on the 10th digit of your VIN. What is the exact spec of the engine, including the three letter engine code (something like BWA).

Rgds

Teutonic_Tamer
01-03-2007, 02:25 PM
PM me your email address and I will get stuff to you.

Why the secrecy of the PM. If you have technical info to share, then share it publicaly with the whole forum, unless you are dealing with illegal content!

Rgds

stua4
02-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Not sure on the pm, JR my email addy is sflattuk AT yahoo DOT com anyway
Thanks for the link TT, have got the pdf.
Engine is ALT 018021 and the tenth digit on the Chassis no. (on Audi invoice) is a 1?

Is that the right information?

Thanks again for all the help

Teutonic_Tamer
02-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Not sure on the pm, JR my email addy is sflattuk AT yahoo DOT com anyway

The comment was addressed at JR.

I'm strongly against posters who "secretly" share technical info by e-mail or PM. If the info is worth shareing, then share it with ALL. Afterall, it is the freedom of the flow of info, in all directions on the public forum, which gives it: firstly, any credability, and secondly, allows peer review to examine and correct any miss-information!

Thanks for the link TT, have got the pdf.

Good, any use? Do the brakes look similar to your own?

Engine is ALT ****** and the tenth digit on the Chassis no. (on Audi invoice) is a 1?

Delete the asterisks from your own post. I'm not familure with the ALT engine, so can't offer any further help on that one.

The 10th digit of the VIN thus shows your car is a 2001 model year, available from Jul/Aug 2000, to Jul/Aug 2001. Handy to know for future parts requirements.

Is that the right information?

I don't know? If the brakes look different to the ones in the pdf, then have a shufty on http://volkswagen.msk.ru/, section: brakes, model: Passat B5 - and see if anything better turns up.

HTH, rgds

stua4
02-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Am going to take a look over the weekend so will keep you posted.

Anyone got any tips on replacing the brake fluid? I searched google but can't seem to find very much information or any guides.
Thanks

Teutonic_Tamer
02-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Am going to take a look over the weekend so will keep you posted.

OK, ta.

Anyone got any tips on replacing the brake fluid? I searched google but can't seem to find very much information or any guides.

Hmm . . . have you ever bled brakes before?? Not something that can be properly "learned" from any guides!

Teutonic_Tamer
02-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Just my 2pennys worth here but if you have never bleed a braking system on a car before and you have to search google in order to figure it out PLEASE DONT.

Have a mech do it for you, and that goes for the whole braking system if you dont know what your doing, make one mistake and it could be your last , or some poor innocences

All so true! :approve:

stua4
03-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Not really, if everyone took that attitude then no-one would ever learn anything and forums such as this would not exist. Just because I have not done it before does notmean I could not complete the joband just because I am from Norfolk does not mean I wouldn't test my work before using it!

Teutonic_Tamer
04-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi stua4, don`t really agree with what you say above sorry, i think all Andy and tt were advising was that for your first time you maybe enlist some help from an experience person ;) as its not like changing a set of plugs, if you get it wrong oh well no harm done just try again, with your brakes if you get it wrong it could be catastrophic for example lets say through lack of knowledge/inexperience you leave air in the system and your travailing at 70mph down the motorway when all of a sudden you see a tail back you hit your brakes and nothing, through your lack of knowledge you could end up not only wiping your own life out but that of others as well.

Well said Lisa, couldn't agree more! :biggthump

:flowers1:

Oh, I see - you don't send me flowers! :crying: :sadwavey: :kabong:

:biglaugh:

Eshrules
04-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Not really, if everyone took that attitude then no-one would ever learn anything and forums such as this would not exist. Just because I have not done it before does notmean I could not complete the joband just because I am from Norfolk does not mean I wouldn't test my work before using it!

exactly as lisa has said really, i dont think anyone was taking an "attitude" other than yourself good sir.

the point being made is quite a valid one... if you were to do your brakes, rightly or wrongly and they failed, causing you to kill or maim a young one, could you rest easy in the knowledge that the child may be permenantly maimed or even worse, die, just because you wanted to learn how to do brakes?

the best thing to do, is pay a friendly mechanic to do them and watch and learn, ask him to show you what he's doing and pay close attention.

i have never bled brakes myself, i have watched my brother do it time after time after time, but would still not have the nerve to try it myself, for fear of accidents..... that is the point being made i beleive, nothing to do with the forum, nor where you live :beerchug:

Teutonic_Tamer
05-03-2007, 03:30 PM
:bad: :alcoholic :flowers1: :banned: X

Shhh, don't tell everyone! ;) :D

Teutonic_Tamer
05-03-2007, 03:38 PM
the best thing to do, is pay a friendly mechanic to do them and watch and learn, ask him to show you what he's doing and pay close attention.

i have never bled brakes myself, i have watched my brother do it time after time after time, but would still not have the nerve to try it myself, for fear of accidents..... that is the point being made i beleive, nothing to do with the forum, nor where you live :beerchug:

Even if you actually watch them, there are a few different "methods" to bleeding brakes, and if one way doesn't work, you need to know about the other ways, and this can only be gained through years of experience!

Teutonic_Tamer
05-03-2007, 05:15 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_16.gif

ROTFLMAO . . . you owe me a new keyboard.

fx/on <frantically mops up coffee> fx/off

;) :D

Eshrules
05-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Even if you actually watch them, there are a few different "methods" to bleeding brakes, and if one way doesn't work, you need to know about the other ways, and this can only be gained through years of experience!

.....swiftly bringing this thread back on topic :p LOL you kinda stepped on my point there TT, i know you have to have years of experience, but i think what the main point everyone agrees on here is that you can't learn how to change and bleed breaks of t'internet, its stupid, irresponsible and just downright dangerous....

funnily enough, the OP hasnt yet replied, little concerned as to just what's happened :(

Teutonic_Tamer
05-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Here you go a nice new shiny one

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_33_21.gif your going to have to wake up my sleeping cat though if you want to play with it.

Keyboard and monitor now covered in coffee (and the e-mail notification shows exactly what you said ;) ) :D

When do we get started then ??? ;)

Teutonic_Tamer
05-03-2007, 07:09 PM
.....swiftly bringing this thread back on topic :p LOL you kinda stepped on my point there TT, i know you have to have years of experience, but i think what the main point everyone agrees on here is that you can't learn how to change and bleed breaks of t'internet, its stupid, irresponsible and just downright dangerous....

Egzakerley - and the HBoL don't help at all!

funnily enough, the OP hasnt yet replied, little concerned as to just what's happened :(

Hmmmm . . . worrying, especially as he is in my neck of the woods . . . .

Teutonic_Tamer
05-03-2007, 07:36 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_2v.gif What was wrong with what i said ?

PMed ;)