PDA

View Full Version : Question Heated windscreen washer jets

johngilbert371
30-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi does anyone know if its possible to retrofit heated washer jets to a mkv golf?

Reason I ask is I didn't have any squirt today - thought it might have been the cold weather freezing the jets!?

Just bought it so it should have the genuine VW fluid (to the right concentration I hope)

Also it would seem that unless the winter pack was specified there is no low fluid level warning so it could be that I have no fluid of course!

Look forward to hearing from ya...

dubcruiser
01-01-2009, 12:26 PM
This has been asked before recently so do a search and you should find some info.

I imagine it is possible to fit heated washer jets but knowing how to wire them in (the heated rear window switch normaly) would be the tricky bit.

tim r32 mark 5
12-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi, i have the same problem, and i am sure mine has the winterpack as it has headlamp washers and heated seats. I think it has heated washers, but the conclusion i came to was that the water must be frozen in the tank. If you look at where it is, on mine its in front of the drivers side front wheel, i guess it just freezes and takes a while for the engine heat to defrost it, still this is only a guess. I drove about thirty miles the other day on the motorway and it then suddenly started working again.

Mini Mark
13-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi, i have the same problem, and i am sure mine has the winterpack as it has headlamp washers and heated seats. I think it has heated washers, but the conclusion i came to was that the water must be frozen in the tank. If you look at where it is, on mine its in front of the drivers side front wheel, i guess it just freezes and takes a while for the engine heat to defrost it, still this is only a guess. I drove about thirty miles the other day on the motorway and it then suddenly started working again.

My golf has the winter pack and as of yet I have had no trouble with the jets or bottle freezing even when the temp dropped to -6 on the way back from Wales the other week the 2 cars I traveled with a corsa and new Mini both had real trouble with the water freezing for a good 1 1/2 hours

Teflon
13-01-2009, 01:54 PM
I've got them, but wouldn't pay good money to have them on a car. Even with heated jets, the air temperature was so cold last week that water froze immediately it came into contact with the (heated!!) screen.

My advice would be to use a good quality winter screenwash at about 25-40% strength and this will do the job for you. I've done thousands of winter miles in Scandinavia where they have screenwash so strong that the smell of it in the cabin nearly knocks you out when you hit the button! Never a problem with freezing water, even at stupidly low temperatures.

p.s. Always read the label and do what it says on the tin. Don't use 100% strength or you risk problems with the pump and pipework.

johngilbert371
14-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for your replies, it in fact turns out that I had run out of screen wash... can't believe a low washer level indicator is an option...

Anyhoo, I will try making the mix stronger and see what happens in the future.

Cheers