PDA

View Full Version : Please Help NS Fog Light -Fault Indicator

SimonHenderson
30-12-2008, 10:06 PM
I would love someone to help as this is driving me crazy. The centre console tells me that my near side fog light is out. It is an Audi A4 2001. There is no near side fog light. There is not even a live connection for the near side fog light. It fixed itself for a while after I wiggled the lights switch but it is back on now and doesnt go off.

Any ideas?

danclyon
30-12-2008, 11:50 PM
I would love someone to help as this is driving me crazy. The centre console tells me that my near side fog light is out. It is an Audi A4 2001. There is no near side fog light. There is not even a live connection for the near side fog light. It fixed itself for a while after I wiggled the lights switch but it is back on now and doesnt go off.

Any ideas?

Couldn't resist this....

Fit a foglight and see if the error goes away :biglaugh:

Dan.

kite
31-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I've had this on a B6.
Clean all bulb connections on both rear light units.

SimonHenderson
31-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Good one Dan - never thought of that! If only I tried that 6 months ago when the fault occurred.

Well at least you took the time to read it - thanks anayway

Si

danclyon
01-01-2009, 01:37 AM
Good one Dan - never thought of that! If only I tried that 6 months ago when the fault occurred.

Well at least you took the time to read it - thanks anayway

Si

Thinking some more about what I just saw with my twin-foor rear bulb and how DIS reports it, I wonder whether the switch is intermittent/faulty?

When my bulb blew (and properly blew, not was on the blink) DIS would show the bulb failure symbol and tell me the bulb had blown until I put the front fog lights on, then it would go away until you turned the ignition off and on again - almost suggesting the switch is the key to the problem.

You've got another suggestion of cleaning all the connections on the rear bulbs, but after that I'd focus on the switch.

SimonHenderson
05-01-2009, 10:33 PM
You were spot on about the fog lights. It was the right side that was faulty and not the left as indicated on the dash. Fixed now with cleaning connections on the right side. Thanks for taking the time to post - it was driving me mental.
Si

danclyon
06-01-2009, 01:24 AM
You were spot on about the fog lights. It was the right side that was faulty and not the left as indicated on the dash. Fixed now with cleaning connections on the right side. Thanks for taking the time to post - it was driving me mental.
Si

Si, was there anything obvious you had to clean off or was it just a remove, rub on jeans, put back sort of effort? Having taken the rear lights off to sort the brake/rear light bulb failure recently I realised how easily you can not quite shut the clips down correctly and leave space for air to move in/out and a small amount of condensation to form - so wondered if it was anything like that?

Wonder why it was reporting the other side though - I though the wiring was individual run to each cluster, so the only way right would equal left would be if I was asking the wife to turn right ;-) (unless she's secretly from Germany?)

Cheers,
Dan.

SimonHenderson
12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Dan, it was exactly as you described - remove, rub on jeans and wiggle cable abit. THe fog light came on and the DIS fault went off. All fixed! (figures crossed). No idea why it was displaying wrong side.

Thanks for the pointer as if you hadnt suggested checking the other side too I would have kicked the proverbial crap out of the wrong side by now.
Cheers
Si