PDA

View Full Version : Can't get wheels off!

gfewster
30-12-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm so ashamed of myself. I service both my cars (and my occassional '72 Triumph Spitfire), I've changed gearboxes, fitted new heads, just about everything.......

And I can't get the wheels off my Golf!!!!

1997 MkIII Golf GTi 2.0 8v, factory fit alloys.

Undone all the bolts (five bolt) on the rear wheels (happen to be changing the wheel bearings) and jacked it up...... wheels are stuck fast!!!

I've hit them from behind with a sledgehammer as hard as I dare (any more will knock the car off the stands).

What on earth is going on? Am I missing something very obvious?!

zollaf
30-12-2008, 08:41 PM
corossion, thats whats up. you can carry on with the big hammer, rotating the wheel with each hit, but preferably using a block of wood to prevent damage. if this wont work, apply penetrating oil. if you can get the centre cap off as well that helps as its stuck on the spigot. once it comes off, and it will, thoroughly clean the wheel and hub, until the wheel goes on easily. then apply a coating of copper grease to the contact points. if you do all 4 now, it saves this bother when on the hard shoulder with a flat.

Buzz_B6
01-01-2009, 02:50 PM
As zollaf said. MY B6 Passat was an absolute nightmare to get the wheels off a mere 3 months after i'd had new tyres fitted! needless to say they were thoroughly cleaned, waxed, and a thin layer of copper grease smeared on the hub and contact surface of the alloy wheel. They come off much easier now, but are still snug.

quantumowner
09-01-2009, 09:45 AM
I had the same problem on my Bora!. I jacked it up, put the car on axle stands, got underneath and kept kicking at the wheel whilst rotating it. Eventually it came off - same the other side too. You must use axle stands though - very dangerous on just a jack!

size12
13-01-2009, 10:17 AM
The safest way I have found of getting them off is jack the car up (obviously) put a large peice of wood in front of the wheel at the 6o'clock position on the wheel and belt it with a large hammer. they wont stick for long:D

grayh
18-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I had the same problem with my old passat, I ended up getting a scissor jack with a piece of wood between each side (against each wheel) and slowly applying pressure, a couple of taps around the outer edge of rim with a small copper mallet and they came free. Brute force is the only way:zx11: you will sweat and swear quite alot!!

audipersempre
19-01-2009, 12:13 PM
I find lowering the jack with the wheel bolts removed sometimes helps too. The weight of the car often frees a stuck wheel.

scone888
21-01-2009, 11:06 AM
yeah the last idea works lowering the car but dont remove the wheel b olts completely or your car ends up onthe floor withoutwheels :( thenwhen the wheels are on the ground you can rock the car side to side till you here them release :approve: all good mechanics tyre fitters should put the copper grease on so this never happens it takes 1 min , the biggest job is rememberin where you last had the copper grease:biglaugh:

richard t
06-03-2009, 04:28 PM
The other way is to loosen the bolts and drive the car a few yards then brake hard this usually jolts them free.

JohnnyRob
06-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Wood block and hammer is your best bet, with the car on axle stands if you are unsure.

Jacking the car down and breaking with nuts loose are OK methods if you are a competent DIYer with good tools / knowledge, but not good for anyone without a high level of confidence, INHO.

carbon8ed
15-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Had this on some old nova's, you will need a freshly boiled kettle and a bucket of cold water. Pour the 'boiling' water over the wheel where it is 'welded' to the hub, then pour cold water straight away. Then back with the hammer and wood. The heat then cold splits the welds as the tyre and hub would expand and contract at very slightly different rates, although the heat isn't that great it seems to work.

Good luck.