PDA

View Full Version : Question Glow Plug Relay

BadgerTF
30-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Hello there, I wonder if anyone out there can assist me please. I believe I have a faulty glow plug relay on my Seat Leon Mk 1 (yr 2000), it's a 1.9 Tdi.

I have found where the relays are kept (under the steering wheel) and managed to take the cover off. Now I'm left scratching my head wondering which one it is!

Any help gratefully received..... Happy New Year everyone.

Many thanks.

zollaf
30-12-2008, 06:05 PM
what makes you think the glow plug relay is at fault? is it because the glow plug light doesnt come on and the car wont start occassionally?

BadgerTF
30-12-2008, 06:12 PM
yes - takes absolutely ages to get the glow plug light to come on - probably about 20 attempts at turning the key, but then as soon as it does - for about 2 seconds - the car starts immediately. Garage said they think it may be the relay, and that corresponds with other posts on here too.

thanks for replying.

zollaf
30-12-2008, 06:40 PM
thatll be your engine control relay. position 8 . middle row, one in from the left. thats according to auto data anyway, and its not always 100%. the relay will have a dry joint inside. they can be repaired if your handy with a soldering iron, or replaced. its not the glow relay. if you remove the glow relay < after fixing ec relay> the glow light still comes on and the engine will still start.

BadgerTF
30-12-2008, 06:51 PM
You're wonderful!! Thanks very much. I shall try this... if it doesn't work, I'll get back to you :Blush:

Very many thanks.

BadgerTF
02-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Thought I'd update you with the bad news. It turns out that the onboard computer was completely knackered and it would have cost £1600 plus for a new Unit. So sadly, my leon has gone to the scrap dealers in the sky. She'll be greatly missed. :(