PDA

View Full Version : mpg question again

minty0_10
29-12-2008, 09:04 PM
ive asked this before and had some shall we say unhelp full answers

some people ive heard here on this forum manage to get over 600 miles out of a tank of fuel 130 tdi.
i cant!

had a full service on my car done yesterday so i know thats right
done a 200 mile drive today kept at a steady 70/75mpg just to see if i could get these kind of figures ones again i failed miserbly
the most i managed was 47 mpg 265 miles on half a tank
am i missing something here?

also my older 110 tdi passat go,s just as well as the 130
the the 110,s a flyer of a car or is the 130 just a dog of a car :1zhelp:

Col
29-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Moody

kssantosh
30-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Same here mate..
I do almost 50 miles a day and 90% of it on the motorway. I've even tried the most fuel efficient speed zone trick too. But it never ever has crossed the 47 mark till date :(

Col
30-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Moody

minty0_10
30-12-2008, 06:06 PM
that threads 7 pages long and i really cant be asked to read all that :o
did get to the post where it showed over 1000 miles to a tank and though its just not worth reading any more.
looks like its all **** and bull to me 1000 miles to a tank my bum:biglaugh:

Col
30-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Moody

Danesgate
30-12-2008, 09:49 PM
A steady 70/75mph may not be ideal....

I have a daily 50 mile trip to work on deserted, winding A & B roads. If I hoof it, I get 50mpg according to the computer.

If I have a regular run, I get 55mpg.

If I take it very carefully and keep it around 55mph rather than 60mph, I see 60mpg (more if I don't heat the seats and keep the aircon on "Econ").

I have never run the tank to less than 1/4 full - I am on an emergency call-out rota and don't need to delay my arrival with a fuel-stop (and I don't believe that running a tank dry is good for filters and fuel pump).

I find the trip computer tallys very well with the qty of fuel I put in and have no reason to doubt that when it says 60mpg, that will have been what i got.

I bought my wife a '53 130TDi Sport Estate and liked it so much I bought another for myself. Great cars.
:beerchug:

Laurie2212
30-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi Minty

I've been amazed at the differences in MPG with the same car & engine. I've had my 2001 TDI SE (130bhp) for 3.5 years - at first I noted the MPG at each fill up and usually got between 45 and 50 with mixed running, but gave this up after 2 years as the on board computer was within 1 or 2 miles accuracy for MPG. Motorway driving (at legal limit) returns about 51 to 53 mpg. The worst I've ever had was 42 MPG - this was freezing cold weather and all stop starts in heavy traffic. Recently, (due to what I thought was excessive smoking) I changed the air filter 2000 miles early and checked my MPG again to see if there was excessive fuel consumption. I filled up at the same pump to the same click on the nozzle and got 47 MPG - and this with mostly town driving. Apart from normal servicing, drain plug clearance and a cambelt change etc at the local Skoda dealer, all I've done to the car is change the air flowmeter due to lack of perfomance and not due to any issues with MPG. So it seems my car is roughly the same as yours for MPG. My last passat (1998 110 TDI) always returned over 50+ MPG and even went to the high 50s on the motorway!

Still prefer the 130 for the power on the motorway and overtaking!

minty0_10
30-12-2008, 10:35 PM
there does seem to be more boost from the turbo on the 130 but on the last week or so ive been driving the 110 and the 130 on different days to the same place.
although the 130 does feel faster its not.
proved this to myself from driving past markers on the road and then seem the speed on the next marker if you get what i mean.
sometimes the 110 is faster from a to b

hongkongstuey
31-12-2008, 10:33 AM
anyone getting more than 700 miles a tank must have either a bigger tank or the run must be downhill for miles on end, i see 60+ average most days, seen 77.9 average on one slow run home, never got more than 650 out of a tank and mines the afn engine, better on fuel now its chipped but cant get more than 650, thats to the brim down to the light, which ive done 40 miles in before, but not good practice, it isnt normal to drive like a granny to get more mpg, fuel prices have come down enough to drive normally again i think, i havent changed my driving habits one bit an still get loads to the gallon, if mpg is what your after then get a little pug diesel or corsa diesel, but you will see similar figures most of the tie bacause you have less power/torque to accelerate with.

passat 130 tdi
31-12-2008, 10:46 AM
i do 300 miles a week mainly dual carriageway - if i stick to just over 2000 rpm 65 - 70 mph i usually average between 47 - 55 mpg .

if i stick to 56 mph its a vast improvement - but boring !!

minty0_10
31-12-2008, 10:59 AM
i was asking 130 owners with the pd engines. while theres no problem other people posting with there cars tank ranges, unless its a 130 pd its a bit pointless to this thread :confused:

kssantosh
31-12-2008, 11:28 AM
anyone getting more than 700 miles a tank must have either a bigger tank or the run must be downhill for miles on end, i see 60+ average most days, seen 77.9 average on one slow run home, never got more than 650 out of a tank and mines the afn engine, better on fuel now its chipped but cant get more than 650, thats to the brim down to the light, which ive done 40 miles in before, but not good practice, it isnt normal to drive like a granny to get more mpg, fuel prices have come down enough to drive normally again i think, i havent changed my driving habits one bit an still get loads to the gallon, if mpg is what your after then get a little pug diesel or corsa diesel, but you will see similar figures most of the tie bacause you have less power/torque to accelerate with.

BTW, how do you calculate the mileage?

I am in the same situation as Danesgate and so run the car anytime with atleast 1/4 of tank full. The way i calculate is to fill up the tank and note the amount of diesel used and divide the number of miles driven between the 2 full tanks by this. Though the trip computer always averages between 54 - 58 for most of my trips, i never have got more than 47 till date. So wondering if i am using the right technique to calculate milage.

passat 130 tdi
31-12-2008, 11:52 AM
i was asking 130 owners with the pd engines. while theres no problem other people posting with there cars tank ranges, unless its a 130 pd its a bit pointless to this thread :confused:

you should read your own posts , you mention the 110 in nearly all of them . :biglaugh:

i do own the 130 though . 47 mpg is as good as i get , and thats what vw state you will get . those that get 55 to 60 mpg are misled by that rough calculating onboard trip computer , its a rough guide only and not concrete proof. back off the pedal and you can get 189 mpg - yeah right on bro ?!!

hongkongstuey
31-12-2008, 12:17 PM
you should read your own posts , you mention the 110 in nearly all of them . :biglaugh:

i do own the 130 though . 47 mpg is as good as i get , and thats what vw state you will get . those that get 55 to 60 mpg are misled by that rough calculating onboard trip computer , its a rough guide only and not concrete proof. back off the pedal and you can get 189 mpg - yeah right on bro ?!!

thats instant mpg though, i think we are on about average over a trip, mine are over 30 miles to and from work. anything less is a bit inaccurate, i wouldnt take a reading from when i go to the shop because it wont have stabilised, would be something like 20mpg. i see it as pretty accurate give or take a few mpg either way, if i saw less than 50 i'd know something was wrong. instant mpg is useless in my opinion.

Danesgate
31-12-2008, 12:47 PM
BTW, how do you calculate the mileage?

I am in the same situation as Danesgate and so run the car anytime with atleast 1/4 of tank full. The way i calculate is to fill up the tank and note the amount of diesel used and divide the number of miles driven between the 2 full tanks by this. Though the trip computer always averages between 54 - 58 for most of my trips, i never have got more than 47 till date. So wondering if i am using the right technique to calculate milage.

I have compared the fuel I have put in over a week to the distance covered and calculated the average consumption based on that. The average consumption figure calculated by the trip computer is near-as-damn-it accurate - we seem to use the same technique (yes, I know it means I need to get out more...:D).

Covering 550 miles and putting in 10 Gals (45 litres) of fuel to brim it works out as 55mpg for me. The trip computer gave me a figure of 56mpg.

My wifes (identical) 130TDi Estate gets 35mpg(ish) and rarely gets out of town traffic - that I find more remarkable!

I do often see a 130TDi 4Motion on a 53 plate and wonder if I should have bought one of those instead (probably becaue of the current poor weather, I'll not be so interested come the Spring...!). Don't know how the mpg compares?

kssantosh
31-12-2008, 12:56 PM

I have seen that happen too. But there is another setting which shows the average mpg for a trip. This is the one that i was mentioning in my previous post. But not sure how relaible this is..

minty0_10
31-12-2008, 12:57 PM
[quote=minty0_10;289181]ive asked this before and had some shall we say unhelp full answers

some people ive heard here on this forum manage to get over 600 miles out of a tank of fuel 130 tdi.
i cant!

the first post :approve:

Col
31-12-2008, 01:02 PM
[quote=minty0_10;289181]ive asked this before and had some shall we say unhelp full answers

i cant!

the first post :approve:

I put it to you Sir,

That you are rude and a fool !

minty0_10
31-12-2008, 01:46 PM
well, i thank you but i have never been called a sir and fool in the same centance before.
especially by an idiot :p

Col
31-12-2008, 02:24 PM
well, i thank you but i have never been called a sir and fool in the same centance before.
especially by an idiot :p

You Sir,

Are the idiot.

You do not listen.

You obviously cannot read or understand what people are saying, especially when they are trying to help you.

On top of that you are dam well just plain rude.

Rarely do I ever get so annoyed online by anyone but you Sir have ground my gears. You are a stupid, rude, arrogant ****.

jang150
31-12-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm travelling at least 350 miles per week and always fil the tank up. On average I would say my daily commute is 60% motorway and 40% A roads. I have found I only get between 500-520 miles before the low fuel warning light comes on. I'll presume i would get another 20 miles if I drove the car until empty. (but I'm not trying that!!). Never reached 600 miles per tank and thats over 8 months of commuting to work. Best ever was 560 but It was painful.

minty0_10
31-12-2008, 02:48 PM
thanks for the replys guys well most of them :beerchug:

bigcol i,d thank you to keep your opitions to your self seeing has you manged to see 1000 miles to a tank full....... i could go on

Col
31-12-2008, 05:07 PM
thanks for the replys guys well most of them :beerchug:

bigcol i,d thank you to keep your opitions to your self seeing has you manged to see 1000 miles to a tank full....... i could go on

GO ON THEN !!! :zx11: You stupid idiotic fool, please do !!

If YOU had actually bothered to read the whole thread, you would have realised that I didn't and haven't got 1,000 miles from a tank and that from reading what I and others who have the same or similar engine as you get roughly the same real world milage as you are currently getting. Obviously the simple task of concentrating for ten minutes and reading is beyond your ability.

You haven't just arrived here, you have a few posts under your belt and you really should listen to people, READ what they say, use your brain to think, maybe putting two and two together to get four. Fine if you don't agree and can form and present a reasoned counter arguement but to come back and say you couldn't be bothered is laughable.

YOU asked the question, YOU were given answers and links to other information and probable causes and remedies to your problem. YOU COULDN'T BE BOTHERED TO READ THEM AND ARE SO THICK AND STUPID THAT YOU CANNOT FORM A SIMPLE OPINION OR VIEW.

THEN YOU HAVE THE CHEEK TO CARRY ON ASKING OTHER PEOPLE WHEN THE ANSWERS ARE IN FRONT OF YOU.

Why don't you go and slam your car bonnet down on your head? It might solve your mpg problem and it might knock some sense into you.

minty0_10
31-12-2008, 05:18 PM
or come on don,t spit your dumy out like that, :moon: moody:p :biglaugh:

Col
31-12-2008, 05:22 PM
or come on don,t spit your dumy out like that, :moon: moody:p :biglaugh:

Already done it. It's on the floor and yes I AM in a right mood !

Can you tell ?

passat 130 tdi
31-12-2008, 06:33 PM
happy new year lads, peace to all man kind and all that . :biglaugh::beerchug:

47 mpg max end of. :D

Panzerdriver
01-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Minty i am one of the people who have previously replied to questions about fuel consumption on 130 tdi's.

As i have previously stated i have never seen less than 500 miles out of a tank and have achieved over 600 on a couple of occasions. :D

My weekly drive is never less than 500 miles and it is a mixture of M roads and A roads with at least two days with three people in the car which i must admit does affect my fuel consumption.

I fill up every weekend at either Morrisons or Tescos (depends which is cheapest) and to be truthful i could'nt say whose fuel gives the best mpg.
I definately do not drive like a saint (too boring) but i do try to keep my speed constant.

My 2001 tdi sport was better on fuel than my 2003 model but the engine on this one does feel more powerful so maybe it has been fettled but until i get it on some rollers i will not know. :confused:

I do compare the mileage i travel with what comes up on my TomTom and they are both comparable and most weeks i still have roughly 2 gals of fuel left in the tank and this is normally with between 520 and 540 miles on the trip.

There does seem to be a lot of different mpg's claimed by various people but there can be so many different reasons why (driving styles, tyre pressures and so on) who knows, did you not say in one of your posts your car had been remapped?? (i might be mistaken so apologies if i'm wrong) so this could have affected your car.

Enough of this now i'm too tired to carry on so happy new year to all on the forum and i have got to go and play with a BIG plane (747) before i finish my shift (yes i know some of us poor buggers have had to work over the new year festivities bring on the sympathy?????)

:biglaugh:

minty0_10
01-01-2009, 11:34 AM
yes i did have my car remapped for a very short while as it pushed my mpg down to low 30,s supposed to have been better :mad:
so its back to standared spec now.
i have noticed through to do get a litle better mpg if i fill up at shell or bp
but most of the time its asdas as like you said its normally cheaper.
i don't hammer my car but i do a lot of short trips less than 8 miles where i normally see around 40mpg.
i guess its more of a kick in the balls as i know the older car does on average 10 mpg more on the same runs.
if i could put the afn engine into my sport i,d be a very happy chapy but for now im just going to have to put up with it.

half a tank of diesel in my car and the tank reads 220 miles

passat 130 tdi
01-01-2009, 06:09 PM
i put 30 in today from nearly dry - 330 it stated , after 20 miles at 60 mph it read 440 .:D

Panzerdriver
04-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Did 490 miles this week, positvely thrashed the **** off the old girl up from Gatwick to Peterborough friday am (136 miles) then filled the tank to the brim with 51.68 litres so there was at least another 90 miles + in the tank. :D:D

I think from what you have been saying Minty its time to get rid, even screwing the nads of mine i,m getting good mpg so i'm sorry it looks like your car is a tad knackered. :zx11:

fraser33
04-01-2009, 01:35 PM
I've now had my '02 130 Sport for about 9 months and on average, get about 520 miles to a tankful. Sometimes it's better, not by much, and sometimes worse, again not by much. Going by the on-board comp. it seems to be most efficient at around 60mph / 2k revs. I usually have the comp. set to display 'current consumption', and it's surprising how easily you can tweak your driving style to improve the consumption. Lifting the foot just a touch can make a huge difference it would seem.

Most of my driving is something like 20% of mileage as very short trips - sub 10 mile I'd say - and 80% motorway/dual carriageway at around 70mph, usually around 50 to 80 miles per trip.