PDA

View Full Version : Water temp warning light flashing from cold - 98 Polo 1.4 auto

Scudetto
26-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Troops,

I used the Polo (1998, 1.4 auto, 93,000miles) yesterday and it drove fine, no problemos. I started it up from cold this morning and as I was getting my seatbelt on/tunes sorted etc, the water temp warning light started flashing. I don't think it's out of coolant (two weeks ago it was full), and I don't think there's a head gasket problem, so I was wondering whether it could be the water pump, or a thermostat playing up? (in addition to dodgy connections maybe?) Yesterday, I drove along some muck covererd roads in the rain, and I wonder if maybe some muck has spashed up and affected a sensor maybe?

Any ideas?

Anyway the light was flashing this morning, so I turned off the engine and used the Clio instead. I'll do some more checks tomorrow. Is it dangerours to the engine to drive the car to a garage with the temp light flashing?

Many thanks,

g

-G-
07-01-2009, 02:46 PM
I've had this too on my wife's 2004 Polo 1.2.

The last couple of days were below freezing temps and the temperature warning light came on from cold. I swichted the engine off after 2 mins and on again, the light disappeared.

This happened yesterday and once before, basically when engine is started from cold in freezing temps.

iftiml
08-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Can someone has similar problem and any suggestion how to solve this ?
(ps i'm having same problem, on cold on my Mk7 polo flashes temperature light, and beeps 3 times)

Bilibong
01-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I had the same with my wifes Polo. Changed the header tank, no more problems and it only cost about £14.

unclebob
05-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Not sure if its relevent - had the same on 9n polo, turned out there wasnt enough anti-freeze in the mix...

If you can get a sample test it in your freezer to check if the ratio of water to anti-freeze its ok!