PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb.

nedflanders
26-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Not a very catchy title eh? Sorry about that.

Hello all, I'm nedflanders and have just joined up, I'll do my profile thingy later.

I know this has probably been asked before but I have to change a bulb and as you can guess the manual says 'please consult dealer'. To change a bulb!

It looks like I'm going to have to take off the whole unit in order to get access to the retaining clip. I can't even get visual access as it's impossible to see inside the unit. This is so inconvenient and such bad design. Fancy having to use a tool kit in order to simply change a bulb?

Anyway, enough of my moaning. If any of you can help with this problem and tell me how to go on I'd be very grateful. I'm off to Halfords to buy the bulbs this morning.

RickT
06-03-2007, 12:41 AM
have you managed to sort this as yet??

RicKT

Grimace
19-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi guys
Great forum! :D
I was browsing the Net looking for the same answer - I had a look under the bonnet to change the bulb on the passengers side of my 2003 Polo, and was stumped. There is a cover over the back of the bulb assembly, and when removed I can clearly see the wires that are evidently attached to the bulb, but I didn't want to pull too hard.
The dealer wants R450.00 for the bulb and to replace it, so if I can save that with the help of someone on the forum, I will be very stoked indeed.
I've had a few cars in the past and never seen one that needs a Phd to get to the damn bulb.
And as an after thought, is there maybe another bulb type I can use that will boost the light or quality of the light without frying the fuses / wires :o?
thanks,
Rex

gazza57
20-08-2007, 12:55 PM
If it's any consolation, the problem exists with the golf too. The sidelight replacement is a complete pig.
Once you done one, you'll be able to paper your hallway through your letterbox!
As far as boosting the light output, the best bet is to try high efficiency lamps with a greater lumens/watt ratio.
I've considered Xenons along with uprated wattage lamps but to be honest you put your wiring loom at risk and if you're particularly unlucky the complete car.
Gazza57

Grimace
21-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi Gazza

Thanks for the lighting suggestion. As it turns out, no need to go to the VW shop. Our friendly Midas shop gave me the bulb and one of their techies put it in pretty quickly. I have to admit though, he did have the smallest hands I have seen on a bloke taller than 5'2"!!! But he got it sorted and gave me the run down on the lighting - apparently there are issues with the stronger bulbs and they have stopped selling them for the same reasons you mentioned. No matter - I'm really quick happy with the lighting from my Polo.
Thanks again for the help.
Cheers,
Rex

jimcornwall
21-08-2007, 06:09 PM
I have the same problem with the headlamp bulb. I maanged to remove it (not sure how) but cannot get the replacement bulb back in the corrct position.
All the comments so far that I've read say that thye've sorted the problem by using a dealer who didn't charge much, a Midas (who are they) shop etc but don't explain the actual technique of removing the bulb and replacing it.
Even the Haynes manual "just says remove the bulb and replace it".
It seems a crazy situation when a lot of countries motoring regulations insist that you carry spare bulbs in the car but you cannot replace them at the roadside!

:beerchug:

jimcornwall
23-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi its jimcornwall again.
Just to let all of you out there that I found the solution!
There is a retaining ring that holds the bulb in place. You have to twist one way to release the bulb and the opposite way to hold it in once you have removed and replaced it.
I did take the car to a VW/Audi garage(non-VW franchise) and even he didn't mention this ring. He was trying to twist the actual bulb but without success!
I was doing this on the right hand side headlamp and it was tight there to gets the hand in! It looks even more impossible on the other side in front of the battery!

VolitionUK
12-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Hey guys.

I've got the same vehicle as jim and have figured out the way to change the main headlight bulbs myself and successfully got some new xenons in.

However can anyone offer some advice on how to do the high beam (H1) and sidelight bulbs in the other compartment? I cant feel any retaining rings or clips for them and I'm worried to just tug them in case I cant get them back in again!

Any advice?

mullins
16-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi Volition, or Jim

Could you run me thru the headlight bulbs? Does the clip come out, or does it twist into an open position (then insert/remove) before closing? or is it a case of turning the bulb to get it out? After a small bit of fiddling I managed to get the old bulb out, set the new bulb up, checked it was working but cannot get it to "clip" into place securely as it was. I can wedge it, but it s not in straight, and do not want it coming loose and breaking when driving...

Ended up trying to take a picture with my phone, but still cannot see clearly (confusing me more as it looks like the (plastic??) clip is attached with screws)

Cheers;

mullins

ok, got it!! Here's how. after readin my own post I had a look again at the picture I took. The clip is indeed a black plastic clip, and doesn't come out. You click into an open position, insert bulb, then turn clip back into closed position to hold the bulb in place.
See picture
How to change the headlight bulb in a VW Polo

jimcornwall
16-10-2007, 08:39 PM
You should be able to see the retaining ring in your photo. Its the black/grey part that is held in place by the two torq screws. There are slots that the screws are in and the ring moves clokwise/anticlockwise.There are a couple of lugs that are visible at the end of the slots which one uses to turn the ring. Not sure which way it has go to release.
VolitionUK. According to the Haynes manual the main beam bulb is retained by clips and NOT a ring
Hope this helps...Jim:beerchug:

mullins
16-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi Jim, thanks.

Yeah, I edited my own post with the PS adding that I'd gotten it to fit. Was posting the picture so that ppl could what the clip looks, and how the mechanism works...

mullins

VolitionUK
21-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah I can just about catch a glimpse of the clips holding the H1 bulb in. But can anyone suggest how to even begin to go about removing that so I can replace the bulb? And the sidelight one.

I don't want to break anything by going the complete wrong way about it you see.

mfairhead
08-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Yup, with this info I just changed my bulbs in seconds (after spending all afternoon at the weekend getting no-where). The ring turns anti-clockwise to release the bulb (i.e. as if unscrewing). Hold the new bulb in place with forefinger and use your thumb to turn the ring back clockwise to secure it. Then tighten the ring fully using forefinger on the lug on one side and thumb on the other side. It should turn about 5-10mm

It's a small space and I have fairly big hands but managed to do both of mine. To get to the off-side I slid the canister thing out of the holder to allow access but the batttery side was no problem.

Mark

VolitionUK
08-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Well the headlights were easy enough once you know how.

But yeah, any ideas about the sidelight/high beam bulbs in the second compartment?

There doesnt appear to be any form of locking ring like there was in the main headlight compartment. And the sidelight bulb appears impossible to reach with fingers!

Laughing Man
18-01-2008, 05:31 PM
The main beam bulb is actually quite easy to get out. Remove the wire loom from the back of the bulb. At the top of the bulb is a wire clip. I tried this on the driver side lamp standing directly in front of the car so this clip has to be pushed to the left, It will then drop down and the bulb can then be removed.

The problem I am having is with the side lamp bulbs. The Haynes manual is useless as it gives you a nice diagram of the clearly visable and easily removed rubber lamp cover and then decides that the part of the lamp, i.e the bulb holder shouldn't have any diagrams showing how it is removed and is accompanied by the description 'withdraw bulb holder'. I can only assume that this is done using the power of your mind!

Seriously though, I can just about get my fingers on the bulb holder and around the edges of the bulb holder there seems to be two clips that can be pushed in. I have tried pushing both these in and pulling the bulb holder out but it just isn't happening.

Anyone got any hints tips or even a picture of the holder?

mfairhead
22-01-2008, 10:38 PM
If you think the right side is difficult, try getting to the bulb on the left side behind the battery! I found the best way to do it... buy the bulbs from Halfords and pay the £1.99 fitting fee. They knew how to do it but it still took them nearly an hour to get the "clips" out. It was done by feel - there is no way of seeing down between the bettery and the lamp.

Laughing Man
28-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Lol funny you should say that, I used to work for my local Halfords so I still know a couple of guys from the store. Popped in and had a word with one of them, he had them out and both replaced within a matter of minutes.

Fabregas
21-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Ignore those bandits known as main dealers. Buy bulb from Halfords and ask them to fit it. I just did! Time? Hand under bonnet 2 minutes. Cost? £25.00

(VW Dealer) Time? "Need to take off the grill and bumper mate. 1 hr" Cost £130.00.

Need I say more?

haddieoldbloke
16-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I followed the suggestions, looked at the photo and it worked! Thanks very much for the tip - saved me a lot of hassle.

koogs
01-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I was able to successfully remove and replace the larger H7 bulb in my 2004 Polo 9N. How do you remove the smaller H1 bulb? Its held in place by a springlike thingy as far as I can see........anyone done this before?

jimcornwall
02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
You should read Laughing Man's reply to this posted 18-1-08.
He explains how to do it there.
You may need a mirror to see the spring and how it is located in the retaining lugs
Good luck!:beerchug:

koogs
03-12-2008, 06:06 AM
You should read Laughing Man's reply to this posted 18-1-08.
He explains how to do it there.
You may need a mirror to see the spring and how it is located in the retaining lugs
Good luck!:beerchug:

Thanks. I did exactly that and managed to successfully remove & replace both the H7 & H1 bulbs.:beerchug:

Dancer
06-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi, If you have difficulty replacing the Dip Headlamp bulbs because you can't get your hand into the space behind the headlamp. I have found the way to do it.
The Fuel Filter is held in a cylindrical holder fixed to the body with one Torx (T45) screw at the top and two Torx screws lower down. Remove these and you will be able to move the Fuel Filter without having to mess with the rubber tubes going to and from it. There is now plenty of leeway to allow you to put your hand in and remove and replace the new lamp. This one differs from the Main Beams which are held in place with a ring. These are removed by turning the bulb anti-clockwise. Note where the metal tab is when you remove the blown bulb, so that you can replace the bulb easily, by inserting it and turning it clockwise to lock it. Finally push the wiring plug onto the lugs on the back of the bulb.
If you are really stuck, Halfords can fit the bulb for you but they charge £4.99 to do it.
I was able to buy a heavy duty set of Torx Drivers (which look like Allen Keys but with circular stems and fluted ends with a hole in each end for 'security Torx screws' for £4 including shipping on eBay. I will keep these in the car along with the Emergency set of bulbs. Then I will be able to change a bulb at the roadside if the situation ever occurs.
Happy Motoring
Brian

iftiml
08-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Someone can please expalin me how to change Rear bulbs , stop and reverse bulb? thank you

Nick Horne
22-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't know if this helps, but on my late-2005 Polo, all you need to do to get at the back lights is to gently peel back the thin carpet-type trim at the side of the rear door, i.e. inside where the lights are, and then undo and remove a plastic wingnut which is near the door opening and a bit more than halfway up the light cluster. My wingnut has a sort of rubber-band safety strap to keep it from getting lost, and this also makes it easy to find (and a pain the butt to rotate). Once the wingnut's off, push gently on the bit of bolt that it was on, while pulling gently from the rear, so as to get the bolt out of its hole. Now STOP pulling!!!! Before you can do any more, you need to LIFT the cluster a few millimetres: I've found that there's a bit of moulding in the grey plastic part, which you can get a couple of fingers under, just above where the cable connector fits on. A bit of a lift here, assisted by a slightly desperate, climbing-wall-type grip on the outer bit of the light, will do the trick. Once it's been raised a little, the cluster will come out (gently!! everything's plastic!!!) rearwards, and you will then be able to see how the lifting process has worked (which will hopefully help you to avoid breaking anything when you get to putting it all back together again, or the next time you have to take it apart). You should be able (within the limits of the reach of the cable) to extract the cluster a bit, and you will see four places, a bit like the catches on a house door, where the grey inner part of the cluster clips into the outer bit. Gently squeeze the top two in towards each other, to get the top to come free, then ease the bottom ones out. Now you should have two halves (the translucent outer bit and the grey inner bit with the bulbs in, but hopefully not two halves of either of these individual bits...) and possibly also a floppy bit of rubber gasket in your hand too, or perhaps it has made a quick escape and is by your feet, because this usually falls out too. This will need putting back in the groove in the grey moulding. Now find your problem bulb, replace, check it works, and THEN put everything back. While I think of it, the "grey" bit may not be grey all over the world, maybe it's one of those things that varies with the local plastics industry...

Anyhow, as you will have gathered, the time to have the beer is AFTER attempting this job and not before.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to adjust the beam angle (vertically) on the dip headlamp on UK-issue 2005 Polos? I think the nylon allen-key adjuster does horizontal, but what about vertical? Whenever I have managed to replace a dip bulb, with the consequent bruised veins etc on my hands, I have had to wait for a slot at my VW dealer to have the beam set properly.

And is it true that "proper" VW practice for changing and aligning bulbs is in fact to remove the BUMPER??!!
Does anyone really know?

And isn't the headlamp-bulb-replacement problem actually a rather dodgy issue of road safety? If most owners can't replace one, presumably they have dealers do it. Most employers won't let employees be away for long enough to get this done in the week, so it'll be at the weekend. If there's as big a queue for this as I think there must be, maybe it won't even be the first weekend after finding the fault, but the second or third. For all this time, the car will be a safety hazard after dark. And don't think that the average English driver will stop using the car just because it's unsafe in this way, that's not 2009 behaviour. Perhaps people have been injured, or worse, already. Perhaps it's actually a matter for legislation in the various countries of the market for these cars, something a bit meatier and more fundamental than the mere £100-ish roadside fines for the poor sucker drivers which apply around Europe; surely not impossibly hard to outlaw the selling of vehicles with this hazard built-in... :zx11:

pjstack
10-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi Volition, or Jim

Could you run me thru the headlight bulbs? Does the clip come out, or does it twist into an open position (then insert/remove) before closing? or is it a case of turning the bulb to get it out? After a small bit of fiddling I managed to get the old bulb out, set the new bulb up, checked it was working but cannot get it to "clip" into place securely as it was. I can wedge it, but it s not in straight, and do not want it coming loose and breaking when driving...

Ended up trying to take a picture with my phone, but still cannot see clearly (confusing me more as it looks like the (plastic??) clip is attached with screws)
thanks for the pic .. it really helped.
I thought it was going to be more of the same as my 01 polo, but once you know how, it's really simple

Cheers;

mullins

ok, got it!! Here's how. after readin my own post I had a look again at the picture I took. The clip is indeed a black plastic clip, and doesn't come out. You click into an open position, insert bulb, then turn clip back into closed position to hold the bulb in place.
See picture
How to change the headlight bulb in a VW Polothanks

pjstack
10-11-2011, 09:06 PM
thanks for the pic.!! i thought it was going to be more of the same as my 01 polo, but once you figure it out it's quiet simple.

vwcabriolet1971
11-11-2011, 02:33 AM
The worst model to change N/S headlamp bulbs is the post 2003 1.9TDI . On this model you have to remove the battery ! Arrrrrrg !

vc-10
11-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Changing the sidelight bulbs is a pain too...but nothing on the Mk.2 Renault Megane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZWqU9X6PR4

What I find ridiculous is people who drive around knowingly with dead lights- I remember passing a 206 who had no dipped beams and was using the high beams until right by oncoming traffic. Some cars, including the Golf 5 and I guess the 6 too, even tell you when a light goes.

dickt
02-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks to all for the instructions and the picture. Saved me a visit to garage with car!! Great.

Hi Volition, or Jim

Cheers;

mullins

See picture
How to change the headlight bulb in a VW Polo

gazza57
03-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Nick,

On the subject of proper practice, yes the bumper is often removed, the indy I use and his mate have hands like coal shovels and he frequently just unbolts the bumper and they're done in a jiffy, but yes you're right a pretty rubbish solution if you wanted to change a lamp by the roadside, the overwhelming message there then is don't!!!!!

Gazza57

fergusmacg
20-01-2017, 05:46 PM
I went into Halfords today and they have instructions NOT to replace headlight bulbs from Polo's between 2002 and 2004 due to "overheating problems" and was directed to a main dealer - which I why I'm here. Looks straightforward to me, anyone know what the problem is ?

niall campbell
21-01-2017, 01:01 PM
I can get my hand in, but the front indicator is a total nightmare, I put the long plastic connector in upside down ....................... schoolboy error ................ it jammed and snapped off, bumper off headlight out .................... scrapyard .................... not good day at office

Overheating could be heat of engine in health and safety , could be anything really

its so much easier on the fabia !!

fergusmacg
22-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Well I replaced the headlamp bulb (dipped for the avoidance of doubt) I can see why Halfords are steering clear as it is possible to get it in but not located right so the bulb would be in contact with the plastic of the reflector but its not that difficult. These are the steps I took:

Remove push on rear cover
Pull the connector/wires off the bulb - jiggle it!
Turn the retaining black plastic ring (BPR) I think anticlockwise - no need to turn trox screws in my case, the BPR does not turn much say 5-10mm.
Remove old bulb.
Put new bulb in make sure before you insert bulb the BPR must be anti clockwise and the tab on the bulb is located in its slot at the top (last bit is important) otherwise bulb will be not fully home in housing.
Lock bulb in by turning BPR clockwise.
Replace connector/wires
Replace rear black cover.

I found it useful to have a torch and a mirror (with some extra hands to hold it) to look at how the BPR works - it moves the electrical contacts in and out as you turn it, these need to be in the retracted position to get the bulb into the housing easily. The mirror is also useful to see if the position of the metal tab of the bulb is correct at the top of the housing. I found it useful to practice positioning and locking with the old bulb it saves damaging a new bulb if your not sure - the mirror and torch are almost essential to see the tab position. Bulb was a 477 H7

Nex
14-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Ok I made a massive mistake in not finding this thread earlier and did something very silly.

I unscrewed 2 of the screws which has removed the rings on the passenger side and now I don't have a clue how they are supposed to fit back back in let alone which way up.

Try as I might I have no been able to find any photos or videos of how it goes back together.

Does anyone have any photos that would be able to help me?

Thanks in advance.

https://ibb.co/crAT6m

(https://ibb.co/crAT6m)