PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak (s)...

matt111074
28-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi,
My dad's Passat has developed a couple of little oil leaks;

1. The oil temp sensor(possibly) on the top of the oil pump/ filter housing towards the front seems to be leaking from the actual connector!! We noticed some fresh oil down the side and when unplugging the rubber surround more oil came out! Would this just be a case of replacing the complete sensor?
2. There is a rather poorly fitting grommet which sits on top of the flywheel housing and oil seems to be coming from here and then running down the rear of the engine, is this a common thing? Should there be oil in that area or are things worse then we think!!?

Thanks for your help guys.

Merry Christmas to all, hope you had a good one.
Matt

STEWY L
28-12-2008, 06:13 PM
hello there,
you need to give more details of "my dads passat".
engine code( found on a sticker in the boot well),
and year of manufacture,( not reg,it means nothing to anyone),
and as regards the flywheel housing oil leak, well,it would assist others to assist you
if they knew wether it was "manual",or "automatic"
hope you can understand why this information is required,you have a wealth of information
and helpful people on here,but they need the exact information in order to help you.
hope you find your answers,
regards,
stewy.

matt111074
28-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, apologies for the lack of information. It's a '94 2.0 petrol manual transmission.

1. This was the only information in the boot we could find, I hope it's enough to pin point all the details you require.http://www.mattk.org.uk/Pinnacle/image0023.jpg

2. Here's a more detailed look at the issues.

http://www.mattk.org.uk/Pinnacle/image0022.jpg

http://www.mattk.org.uk/Pinnacle/image0021.jpg

scotty33
31-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi

I see your leak from the oil pressure sender, as you say, if it is coming up through the middle, this is not rare, a new sender should cure this.

The other leak if it is from the plug on the bellhousing is bad news. This should be dry, if there is oil there and it is not dripping down from above, then it must be from the crankshaft/main bearing behind the flywheel, you may also see oil dripping out underneath? There should be a hole there for letting dust from the clutch to be released.

A new seal should fix the leak for now, but the leak could be caused by crankcase pressure from a blocked engine breather. so worth checking this out too. (The round black plastic thing on the top of the engine)

From the data sticker you have the AGG engine which gives 85 KiloWatts or 115hp

Paint code is LK7Y

matt111074
31-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Thank you very much for your reply, we've managed to find a new rubber bung, but nowhere seems to stock the oil pressure sender, I'll be on-line tonight to locate.
I'll check underneath when the car's back here at the weekend, how big is the hole I'm looking for?!

Cheers
Matt

lpg boy
31-12-2008, 06:39 PM
I had same problem on my 2E engine . Sensor on oil filter housing was obtained from GSF,
but you may need to give the colour of the plastic middle (honest) because this signifies characteristics I suppose.
Also I had the puddle of oil around timing inspection hole but this was oil running down into this area , probably worth a good clean and look to see where it initially comes from

matt111074
31-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I've seen white and brown ones available and ours is a white one, so 1.8 bar I think.

scotty33
01-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Matt, Sorry if I was less than clear above. The leak from the 'plug' if this is dripping from above and collecting there, this is probably an easier fix.
If it is coming from the oilseal behind the flywheel, then the gearbox, clutch and flywheel need to be removed to cure this. A new clutch plate may be needed if oil contaminated.

matt111074
01-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Ah I see. It looks like it's collected there and then running down the back, it's not coming from the oilseal, which I guess is a relief.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year! :D