PDA

View Full Version : 1996 polo 1.9tdi wont turn over

dasituk
26-12-2008, 08:09 PM
hi there i have a P reg polo 1.9 tdi,

It will not turn over even with a jump start, when i turn the key the oil and batt light flash on and off once very quick, all other electrics work fine. I have swapped relays, i did fire once but than would not turn again after i turned it off.i have also swapped the battery.

please help

Delco
07-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Maybe start by having a look at your altenator, the mechanics should be able to test it or send it to get tested. Had the same problem about 6 months ago, battery tested fine but it got so bad that I could not start it at all.

Flash2
07-01-2009, 07:55 PM
What I would suggest is to check the wiring at the started motor. You'll see two wires connected to the back of the starter, a big heavy one and a thinner one. Disconnect the thin wire (it should just pull off) and get a screw driver and use it to join the terminal that the thin wire was connected to the terminal post that the thick wire is connected to. On some starter motors the terminal that the thin wire connects to is inside a plastic housing and you can't get at with a screwdriver. If your vehicle is like that, get a length of wire. Bare the ends and push one end into the plastic housing and touch the other end onto the battery + terminal. Oh, and make sure the car isn't in gear or you may knock yourself down!
Anyway, if the engine cranks then the starter is OK and the problem is with the ignition switch or the wire between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. If you just get a little spark when you join the two terminals then it's probably the starter that's faulty.

Good luck!

Jim.

topmarquez
26-03-2009, 10:52 AM
well das what was the cause of the problem there