PDA

View Full Version : Drivers exterior door handle problem

Niall76
25-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my drivers door handle.

When I unlock the car with the key (I need to get new batteries for my remote) I pull the door handle and it doesn't open. I pull it again and it opens!

Occasionally it takes 3 attempts. I have no idea why? Can someone help me out?

Cheers

Sam
25-02-2007, 11:49 PM
"the car" = ???

Niall76
26-02-2007, 09:13 AM
oops!

Sorry - it's an A6 - 97 model (the one in the oicture left there).

Sam
26-02-2007, 10:22 AM
oops!

Sorry - it's an A6 - 97 model (the one in the oicture left there).

And a very nice oicture it is ;)

It could be as simple as the inner door cable being loose. If you can, pop the panel off and have a look behind it.

Niall76
26-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Cheers - I'll pop the panel off as soon as I can. If the cable is indeed loos then what's the best way to fix it? Or would I need a new one?

Sam
26-02-2007, 01:51 PM
If it's come out of its "slot", you just have to put it back in again.

If the loop has come away from the handle, you just have to place it back over again.

If it's anything else, I'm not sure!

AudiA62.5TDI
18-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Nial

This morning, I went to open the drivers door, and the same problem as yours. First pull, the door caught on the lock, second pull freed it and third, a more delicate pull it opened.

Stoped at garage - it was fine.

Went to try it again - same issue as before. Never happened before.

Was it easy to get your drivers door panel off? And the cable cord, was it a fiddle or did you remove the door panel off completely?

I have looked on the door panel, apart from the bold through the inner door handle, I cant find anything obvious to unscrew.

Thanks fella

Niall76
18-04-2007, 01:44 PM
I haven't fixed mine yet. But, I noticed that when the sun is shining on that side it can happen and in the shade it doesn't? So the heat must be expanding something in there just enough to make it do that?

To get the door card is easy. There are a couple of screws which you'll only see when the door is open. I seem to remember one is near the wing wirror and another near the door pin. There may well be a couple more under the door card - again you don't see them unless the door is open.

tomfun
22-04-2007, 09:24 AM
If it the same as a passat it is a bit of a pain of a job,to get to the cable you need to take off the inner door cover,and then there was about 10-12 bolts holding the metal inner cover onto the door skin,it is also held on with a black silicone type stuff and has to be prised off carefully all around so as not to bend the metal.Also the metal cover will not come out far enough unless you wind the window down.

My car is doing it at the moment 2 pulls everytime to get in.The good news is the cable is only about £4 from the dealer it,` about 6 inches long,make sure you order the outer cable and not the inner which is much longer.
I would fix it though because sooner or later you will find one day that you can`t get in at all,streched cable probable or just not sat in the handle of lock correctly.