PDA

View Full Version : Please Help passat unusual starting problem

Moori
24-12-2008, 11:59 PM
I have a 96 tdi estate which starts then stops straight away like an imobiliser type problem, help its getting worse and sometimes carries on like this for ages until it starts correctly

Moori
25-12-2008, 12:03 AM
]I have a 96 tdi estate which starts then stops straight away like an imobiliser type problem, help its getting worse and sometimes carries on like this for ages until it starts correctly

racin snake
25-12-2008, 12:16 AM
it probably is an immo problem . so have the codes read . it will tell you if the signal is weak from your key or the ariel round the key is poor
but it can pinpoint the fault and maybe reconfigure the keys ..have you a spare key ?

Moori
25-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks will try wifes key although i am using key manually not the seperate fob which also locks and alarms the car. Once it does start correctly it runs o/k, but will fail to start when stopped hot or cold at any time. Does seem to be an immobiliser problem although i rarely use the alarm system.:confused:

adamss24
25-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Is the immobiliser light on flashing when the car starts and then stops ? There is a longer coil pick-up loom available from audi wich will cure the problem, however, a fault scan will higlight the problem. It could be a faulty key transponder as well ! Have a scan done and post the faults on the forum.

Alfred1
19-01-2009, 09:09 PM
]I have a 96 tdi estate which starts then stops straight away like an imobiliser type problem, help its getting worse and sometimes carries on like this for ages until it starts correctly

Have you tried replacing the immobiliser battery in the key fob?

Moori
19-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the tips, i had a plug in earlier last year when no conclusive result was found and it behaved itself till Christmas when we were away.
The only suggestion from the garage was although the battery was o/k to start the engine, the amperage was low enough to effect the immobiliser.
So with all this in mind the day before Christmas eve i fitted a new battery and although it failed to start correctly twice , third time was o/k and it has been o/k since.
When it was failing to start with your ideas in mind i found switching the ignition on for well past the cold start light time, about a minute maybe would make it start correctly, thanks again. Moori