PDA

View Full Version : Considering an Octavia vRS TDi

nickynibbles
24-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Nearly a year on from selling my beloved Audi A4, im considering a return to VAG owndership in 2009 given the need for a larger family car than the Astra currently in use by the missus. The Octavia attracts me particularly because of it being a hatchback so it avoids the need for an estate. I've been doing a little nosing about on the vRS TDi & it looks like a good option from the reviews, but wondered what the Octavia was like to live with in the real word for more than a few hours! Having had a very high spec A4 for 2yrs I got to love to strong build quality etc offered, which the Octavia is reputed to offer too. Questions:

How do they really stack up compared to their VAG brothers?
Is there anything in particular to be aware of with these cars other than the usual VAG stuff?
Is the OEM satnav retro-fitable like the RNS-e units used in Audi's?
Do they come with cruise control, if not is it retro-fitable?
Is the dual zone climate control worth looking out for?
I've got a tool kit, some common sense & a full vagcom licence, are there many settings people like to change on the car, or recommended retrofits?
Any recommended performance or handling mods?

Im sure more questions will present themselves, but from experience there's no better place to ask them!!

quantumowner
14-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi,
I would say go for it. I have the Mk1 vRS 1.8T petrol and it has been fabulous with true Audi build quality.
I met someone at the weekend with a vRS TDI 170 and loves it. It had a different front end by Millotek and looked fabulous and goes well too.

paul007
16-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Audi quality is poor IMO. Go for the vRS, you can't go wrong.

paul b
16-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Audi quality is poor IMO.
I really don't understand how anyone can say such a thing.

My Octavia doesn't even compare to the A6.

paul007
17-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I've had one and it was. Besides we're talking about the A4 and the Octavia and not an A6.

paul b
17-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I've had one and it was. Besides we're talking about the A4 and the Octavia and not an A6.
So you had a bad one.

kodkod.84
18-05-2009, 10:04 AM
The Octavia vRS is one cool looking motor IMO both estate and hatch form especially in that blue colour ;)

Not sure what kind of Audi you had paul007 but I've got a 2006 A4 and 2007 Golf and you can definitely tell the difference, in the interior quality at least.

paul007
18-05-2009, 08:29 PM
"The Octavia vRS is one cool looking motor IMO both estate and hatch form especially in that blue colour " That's why I bought one. I'm not sure what point the other poster is making. I didn't like it. End of. Nothing stopping everyone else liking them, I just prefer what I've got now and wouldn't have anything else.

paul b
19-05-2009, 03:18 PM
"The Octavia vRS is one cool looking motor IMO both estate and hatch form especially in that blue colour " That's why I bought one. I'm not sure what point the other poster is making. I didn't like it. End of. Nothing stopping everyone else liking them, I just prefer what I've got now and wouldn't have anything else.
You didn't say you preferred your Skoda, you said that Audi quality is poor.

But anyway you've made your point. Hope you like it and it serves you well.

kenny_boon
01-12-2009, 11:40 AM
ive owned both skoda's and audi's, both are very good cars but you can definately tell the difference in build and interior quality.

that said doesnt make the octy a bad car, go for it if you want one mate you wont be disappointed :beerchug:

blicky_1
19-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Nearly a year on from selling my beloved Audi A4, im considering a return to VAG owndership in 2009 given the need for a larger family car than the Astra currently in use by the missus. The Octavia attracts me particularly because of it being a hatchback so it avoids the need for an estate. I've been doing a little nosing about on the vRS TDi & it looks like a good option from the reviews, but wondered what the Octavia was like to live with in the real word for more than a few hours! Having had a very high spec A4 for 2yrs I got to love to strong build quality etc offered, which the Octavia is reputed to offer too. Questions:

How do they really stack up compared to their VAG brothers?
Is there anything in particular to be aware of with these cars other than the usual VAG stuff?
Is the OEM satnav retro-fitable like the RNS-e units used in Audi's?
Do they come with cruise control, if not is it retro-fitable?
Is the dual zone climate control worth looking out for?
I've got a tool kit, some common sense & a full vagcom licence, are there many settings people like to change on the car, or recommended retrofits?
Any recommended performance or handling mods?

Im sure more questions will present themselves, but from experience there's no better place to ask them!!

I guess you got one of these then as i'm sure one passed me the other day with your plate on it!! :approve:

My A4 is now long gone, was glad to see the back of it to be honest! (Multitronic issues) now doing a full mainteance lease with a 1.3 CDTI 6-speed ecoflex Vauxhall Corsa for 3 years!! doing 80mpg, without the private plate so you won't know it's me! :p

simon2004
19-11-2010, 04:58 PM
hi all new on here iv had my audi a4 tdi for just over a year and can not fault them really any way both my brother and my dad have skoda octavias
and they seem good cars just not the same build quality that said id buy one of the top spec ones :D

VAGMAN54
21-11-2010, 05:11 PM
L and k top spec. nice car and a fight for any audi .......skoda have come a long way very nice cars and the superb matches any executive car on the road .......................

skidmarks
28-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Bruv has just purchased a vrs tdi and loves it.

Alan G H
28-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't know about the vRS, but where I work we run a fleet of basic TDI Octavia's, and they have been very reliable. One pool car at my office has done 180,000 miles and still drives well, with only routine servicing (when someone remembers!)