PDA

View Full Version : aux heater alhambra

billysc
24-12-2008, 01:33 AM
i have an alhambra 2004 1.9tdi,the auxillary heater stopped 3 weeks ago.i took it to a mechanic ,who stripped it down tested the glowplug and checked it over.he could not find any fault...anybody any clues? or will i just wait until an all electric car becomes widely available.

max5765
02-01-2009, 01:08 PM
I've got exactly the same problem with my 05 Alhambra. I suggest you do a bit of digging on the Galaxy Owners Forum, this site is stuffed with solutions and information, theres one guy called DAZ that eats drinks and sleeps auxilary heaters, he really seems to know his stuff. I understand and I'm sure someone will correct me but you will need a VAG COM cable and program to clear the fault codes before you try any rectification work. I learnt this yesterday after jumping in with both feet and the bloody thing still didn't work. I'm sure once again someone will correct me but your problem could be with the following items: Fuse, Ambient Temp Sensor, Glow Plug in heater, heaters fuel pump, I understand that the fuel pump is unlikely though. Check them in that order. Good Luck

kenney
02-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi As Max5765 says you will need a diagnosis to find out what is at fault.The fuel pump however can be one of the faults.The 2 wires which run to the pump,corrode,and the heater will not start.

mattkerton
03-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi, I had a very similar fault myself. The aux heater unit is quite crude but effective (glow plug starts diesel burning inside a chamber, around which the engine coolant circulates). The more complex stuff is attached to this - i.e. controller to read the ambient and engine temperatures, temperature requested inside the car, flame temperature inside the combustion chamber; fuel metering unit to deliver the right amount of diesel to the combustion chamber etc).

The glow plug is about the most common fault with the aux heater. The problem is that if the controller senses the aux heater hasn't worked five times, then it disables it to prevent any further problems. If that's the case, then no amount of fault finding or repairs will work, because the car won't allow the aux heater to switch on.

I'd agree with max5765 - the best bet would be to get someone to read the fault codes, then erase them. With the code, you should be able to get an idea of what's failed. With the codes erased, the aux heater will try to operate so you can do some fault finding (but remember in these temperatures, it'll try to operate every time you start from cold, so after 5 goes it'll disable itself again).

Best of luck - sorry there's not much else I can suggest.

billysc
18-01-2009, 09:54 AM
got a vag cable,it showed codes 17965,18057and18062 came up.none of the codes are listed in the book that came with the diagnostic tool.the codes were cleared,still no aux heater
where are the 2 wires that can corrode.
cheers.

kenney
18-01-2009, 12:34 PM
The 2 wires i mentioned are connected to the fuel metering pump which is under the vehicle.Sorry i should have asked you, is it an Eberspecher we are refering to?

billysc
18-01-2009, 06:22 PM
not sure if its eberspacher,where do i find out that.the small independant garage had stripped the heater unit down and tested the gloplug.eveything worked.no fault codes are showing now either.
a crystal ball and a magic wand is what i need!

max5765
20-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Billy, I'm not sure what those codes are but if you have just put your glow plug across a battery and it gets warm this might not be enough, I understand that these can still be too hot to touch and glow red and this is not enough to fire the bloody heater up. The fuel metering unit is on the offside directly in front of the fuel tank. There is one other trick you could do and that is to bridge the terminals on the ambient temp sensor so this is permenantly on. this is on the nearside attached to the wipers fixed linkage, you will have to remove the scuttle panel, 3 x 10mm bolts and its off and you should see the thing. This only operates when the outside temp is below 10 degrees C or the water temp drops below 85 degrees. If you disconnect it and bridge the terminals in the plug this tricks the heater all the time. Its also wise to drive your car rather than let it stand and tick-over as the engines heat could keep the temp switch off. FYI My heater seems fine now all I have done is remove the relevant fuses, clean the terminals, plug in my VAGCOM and clear the codes and its been fine since. If you are still struggling check out the Galaxy Owners Club site www.fgoc.co.uk (http://www.fgoc.co.uk) look at the Technical MK2 section and there is bucket loads of stuff on these heaters. It seems that everyone at some point of ownership has experienced heater problems on their Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra Diesels
Good Luck

billysc
20-01-2009, 09:41 PM
to be honest,i have now come to the conclusion,that,for short trips,its uneconmical,smokey,not worth the dealers rates of repairs,summertime soon.tho the price of diesel has dropped.i will leave it alone.especially after a guy told me,he has a vw sharan.his aux heatear has,nt worked for years.
your help is much appreciated.

billysc
03-02-2009, 09:32 PM
thanks for all the suggestions,bought a vag,had it stripped,spoke to mechanics.nothing worked...ah well.cheers.

billysc
15-02-2009, 05:03 AM
where is the ambient temp sensor located,also,what number is the fuse for the aux heater.i'll try that,since its freezing ,i would like to get it working.