PDA

View Full Version : Xenon Headlight Fault...??

rick_1981
23-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Here's the situation.

When I start up my Audi A3 my Xenon headlights do not adjust to level. They both will remain aimed downwards or upwards. They used to do a sort of systems check, first going upwards and then down. When I drive the car the problem becomes more annoying in that when I accelerate, the light moves down the road and must appear to oncoming traffic as though I have full beam on. When I press the brake the lights come back along the road back towards the car maybe only 15 feet infront of it which is quite dangerous as I cant see very far when I brake. It happens everytime I brake or accelerate which as you imagine will cause pretty constant simulation that im flashing my lights. This car has an automatic dynamic headlight control system but I don't see any faults or lights indicating a fault on the dash. There is no check engine light etc. I dont think its a motor issue with the lights as they both move in tandom, its not as though one light is ok and the other isnt. There must be a sensor somewhere that is faulty. I've heard there is a sensor for this system at the front of the car and one at the back. Does anyone know how this system works and could point me in the right direction to see if there are any visible issues or some useful tips? I've checked the 5amp fuse in slot 7 for the auto headlights and its fine. Its a 2004 A3 model.

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these hand held scanners to see if I can see any DTC codes however as I cannot see the "check engine light" im not sure if any will be displayed.

Appreciate any ideas. This is getting annoying now. Don't want to go to the dealer without any idea of the fault..

:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4: