PDA

View Full Version : Passat tiptronic problem

sam75
25-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Hi All
I own a passat 1999 v6 automatic/tiptronic. Car was running fine, all the sudden while I'm driving using the automatic (D) gear the car stops and sounds like it's on the Neutral, sometimes I move the gear up down and it will work. after few days of seeing the issue, the car did the same thing then start shifting again using the automatic gear but the tiptronic died, like it doesn't exist anymore . I'm only using the automatic now and no noticed issue with transmission, it's shifting smoothly and if I try to use the tiptronic still act like it's on the D gear.
I've read on one of the websites can be electric problem.
Please any help is appreciate it, at least to understand the problem if I have to take it to the mechanic. You know how mechanics are
Thanks in advance

abrown4407
16-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi,
I have what sounds like the same problem. When I shift to tiptronic mode nothing happens - it's just the same as being in D.
I've taken the top off the gearshift housing and it looks like there may be something missing - like a contact that may sit in the gaitor. I can't see Audi using such a flimsy set up to control the gears though - perhaps the lights on the gear housing but not the actual transmission. Did you get to the bottom of this?
Adam

abrown4407
15-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I've since sold the car but did fix the problem - in fact it was quite easy.
There are some very small very strong magnets in the gaitor. The mount they were on had come off and dropped into the bottom of the car.
I just got a new gaitor which came with magnets and fitted it.
The fitting was tricky - you have to do something to the shift knob and then pull it away from the stick - it was quite tough. There was a guide I found on one of the forums for removing the gear knob.
Problem fixed in the end though.

PeteK
15-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Did you sell it to this guy by any chance?

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=116607

;)

abrown4407
24-08-2013, 06:42 PM
No, mine was a W reg. Fix was good man - I don't do half jobs me.