PDA

View Full Version : Is it because I am colour blind?

uknick
25-02-2007, 12:33 PM
The multi function display on my 1999 Golf MkIV 1.8T is hard to read, even at night. Over the years if has got dimmer and dimmer. Initially, I thought it was my colour blindness, red on black never easy to read. However, there are times when it as bright as new. The information given, i.e. mpg, is not at fault. This is not to do with the dash light dimmer control. Even on brightest setting the MF display is dim.

When asked, my local dealer gave the usual "never had problems with the module". In which case I am reluctant to spend a fortune on the dealer doing an electronic diagnostic.

I am thinking loose earth but the question is where to start looking.

Suggestions?

Eshrules
25-02-2007, 11:26 PM
The multi function display on my 1999 Golf MkIV 1.8T is hard to read, even at night. Over the years if has got dimmer and dimmer. Initially, I thought it was my colour blindness, red on black never easy to read. However, there are times when it as bright as new. The information given, i.e. mpg, is not at fault. This is not to do with the dash light dimmer control. Even on brightest setting the MF display is dim.

When asked, my local dealer gave the usual "never had problems with the module". In which case I am reluctant to spend a fortune on the dealer doing an electronic diagnostic.

I am thinking loose earth but the question is where to start looking.

Suggestions?

ill see if i can find thread in the passat section, someone had this problem and i think they ended up having to replace the instrument cluster.... not sure if thers any way around it TBH, but ill have a look :beerchug: