PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Vibrating noise coming from engine

paulious
23-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi,

I've noticed during the last few days that as close as i can describe it, a vibrating whirring noise coming from the front of the car that sends small vibrations through the car. I had noticed it just after having the front tyres changed so took it back in and the guy checked the brakes and wheel balance and all checked out fine.

The problem seems to occur around 1.5k revs upto 2.5k, particularly noticable when in a high gear and decelerating through that rev range. Depressing the clutch and putting into neutral has no effect, the noise persists. However if the car is stationary and i rev the engine slowly to redline there is no abnormal noises at all. I might embaress myself here but could it be the flywheel bearing or something? The only other thing i could think of was a piece of plastic trim underneath might be flapping about like a twig in a gale at a certain speed (resonant frequency). To be honest though that is probably wishful thinking.

I'm going to have a look under the car tonight, see what i can see just any pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh btw it's a 1999 a3 1.6 sport, 182k miles but regularly serviced.

NamloTCB22
25-12-2008, 06:27 AM
I do indeed have a similar problem. Does seem to be coming from the brake vacuum plate. Try yours.

Hi,

I've noticed during the last few days that as close as i can describe it, a vibrating whirring noise coming from the front of the car that sends small vibrations through the car. I had noticed it just after having the front tyres changed so took it back in and the guy checked the brakes and wheel balance and all checked out fine.

The problem seems to occur around 1.5k revs upto 2.5k, particularly noticable when in a high gear and decelerating through that rev range. Depressing the clutch and putting into neutral has no effect, the noise persists. However if the car is stationary and i rev the engine slowly to redline there is no abnormal noises at all. I might embaress myself here but could it be the flywheel bearing or something? The only other thing i could think of was a piece of plastic trim underneath might be flapping about like a twig in a gale at a certain speed (resonant frequency). To be honest though that is probably wishful thinking.

I'm going to have a look under the car tonight, see what i can see just any pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh btw it's a 1999 a3 1.6 sport, 182k miles but regularly serviced.

paulious
08-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the advice, i did have a look and they were fine. I noticed that the noise happens only when the steering wheel is turned right slightly and took a mechanic for a drive and he instantly diagnosed it as wheel bearings. Hope this helps anyone with similar symptoms. 100 pounds all in to fix.

JCOX
22-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi had this problem on a Mk4 Golf and it's coming from the Auxillary Belt area, this drives your power steering and your alternator. I had the belt and tensioner replaced here before finally finding it was the alternator pulley which seized up. Exactly the same symptoms tho, with the steering turned all the way and the idle tickover vibration. Good Luck.