PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Emission Control Light and engine vibration (2.0 FSI A3)

emma81206
23-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi, got a bit of a problem and would like some advice on what the likely worst case scenario is....any info will help!

The emission control light started flashing along with the engine "chugging" like a tractor/diesel engine but not in a smooth way. Not good when accelerating either... my other half checked under the bonnet when I managed to slowly and carefully drive a mile home and said that the "manifold" was bright red.

Have left it at Audi garage this morning - only bought the car 5 months ago, it's a 2003 model with 95,000 miles. It had it's last full service (including cam belt change) in September, all was ok then.

This is really frustrating so close to xmas - we need transport for traveling to spend xmas with family.

Any guidance to prepare myself in advance of a phonecall with bad news will help!

Thanks

gixxerk4600
23-12-2008, 11:20 AM
i had the same problem, there could be a few reasons. my first one was because an air inlet hose had not been fitted correctly and when the air was going thru the air mass sensor, it was reading that there was 'x' amount of air going in but as it was leaking, they ECU put more fuel in the give a good ratio and the exhaust emission sensor read that there was not the correct amount coming out n went all funny. my other time was when i had fitted a replacement air filter and a foam seal got sucked in and caught around the inlet butterfly. it could be that your air mass sensor is gone and shouldn't be too pricey. do you know anyone who works in a garage, cos some dealership garages can be dodgy and make a problem up claiming more money so might be worth getting a second opinion. if you go to a private garage you should be able to get it cheaper! where abouts are you?

emma81206
23-12-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm in Buckinghamshire. Just had a call from the garage - apparently it's the "coils" - 2 have gone and likely other 2 will go soon so they are getting fixed.

Fingers crossed warranty will cover this - £200 is a fortune this side of Xmas!!!

Hope to get car back today too.... again fingers, toes everything crossed!!!!

gixxerk4600
23-12-2008, 11:36 AM
ahhhhh yea of course, i forgot about the coils, sorry.... when mine went the other day, i took it to the garage where my missus works n they hooked it up to the VAGCOM and they said about my coils. well hope its all sorted!!!