PDA

View Full Version : Improving Fuel Mileage Tips and Ideas

patrick
25-02-2007, 04:46 AM
I think we should all present different ideas on improving fuel mileage. It will save everyone money and help our environment!

Here is my tip: Check your tire pressure every time you fill up! Improper tire pressure will ROB your mileage (and your wallet on tire replacement).

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com

gary_m
25-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Buy a bicycle :D:approve:

But on a more serious note................turn off your air conditioning and any other electrical item that you don't really need tlo use at that time.

devonutopia
25-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Add Millers Diesel Sport 4 if you have a TDI - I got 65mpg on a fairly slow run to Bournemouth yesterday down the A35. :D And I still had those 220 ponies to tap should I have wanted to. I love my car. And this new Millers gunk is really helping the economy.

renedrag
25-02-2007, 07:38 PM
your lucky it's winter mate, A35 in summer you'll spend more time stopped than moving. managed 55mpg down to Blandford Forum and back this morning and it's not the straightest road in the world or flattest. I thought that was pretty good for an A4 130tdi. What do you think?

devonutopia
25-02-2007, 08:20 PM
your lucky it's winter mate, A35 in summer you'll spend more time stopped than moving. managed 55mpg down to Blandford Forum and back this morning and it's not the straightest road in the world or flattest. I thought that was pretty good for an A4 130tdi. What do you think?

Not bad. :p Still not 65. :D

renedrag
25-02-2007, 08:40 PM
what's this millers gubbin's, is it an agricultural diesel additive from the far west, I shouldn't say that as my A4 started it's life at Plymouth Audi before reaching cider country.

Celtic Cousin
25-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm sure that there's a difference in which Diesel you use.

If I use BP (for my wife's Nectar points you understand) rather than my local garage I get 2-3 mpg extra!

renedrag
25-02-2007, 09:07 PM
I've heard about this BP diesel. But I'm sure my mpg increased after I coated all the glass with Rainx (I don't think so)

paul46
25-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Add Millers Diesel Sport 4 if you have a TDI - I got 65mpg on a fairly slow run to Bournemouth yesterday down the A35. :D And I still had those 220 ponies to tap should I have wanted to. I love my car. And this new Millers gunk is really helping the economy.

Just put some in yesterday

patrick
25-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Keeping a good alignment will also help fuel mileage.

Who has thoughts about performance air filters? From what I have seen mileage can be improved this way, but oil from some of these filters can damage Audi/VW mass airflow sensors. Anyone know of a good dry performance air filter?

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com

Celtic Cousin
26-02-2007, 11:56 AM
What about changing the oil from the 0w-30 for the longlife service to the 5w-40 of the standard service schedule?

devonutopia
26-02-2007, 01:38 PM
A general tip for driving would be to accelerate downhills and allow the speed to drop off gently on uphills. :) Try to use engine braking more, so good awareness of where and when you will need to stop can allow engine braking to be engaged earlier, which saves on brake pads and that fuel you would use by not engine braking. :)

wid77
26-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Can you tell me what Millers Diesel Sport 4 is?

paul46
26-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Can you tell me what Millers Diesel Sport 4 is?

Try this link:

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Diesel.html

wid77
26-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Try this link:

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Diesel.html

I might need to try some of that!

devonutopia
26-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I might need to try some of that!

OH! It's WORTH it!!! ;) I've paid £30 for 3 litres of the stuff, and I would estimate that I will go on (over the 3000 odd litres of diesel that treats) save well over £100 compared to my economy when I don't use any.

It literally pays for itself and a lot more in my case. But you need to be consistent and use it all the time without fail - else the ECU learns to drive without it again - and you have to re-adapt it. :)

MalcQV
26-02-2007, 08:17 PM
The trip puter in the car helps. I get about 32mpg on average but the other day the missus took the car out, she got 37mpg :D I need to ease up on my lead foot a bit I reckon:p

stua4
26-02-2007, 08:20 PM
K&N Panel filter, direct replacment for you OM filter
I thought this could leave an oily residue? I was told to stay clear of the K and N? I need a new filter and plugs,what do people reccommend?

MalcQV
26-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I thought this could leave an oily residue? I was told to stay clear of the K and N? I need a new filter and plugs,what do people reccommend?

Hope not just put one in the Fezza today :(

JR001
26-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Back to Miller's 'gunk'- the Diesel Sport 4 additive. I saw it advertised in Audi Driver mag and decided to give it a go recently. Mines is 2002 100hp TDI. Millers stuff took about 250 ish miles to set in I think. I find the engine a touch more responsive and I think I'm getting approx. 3 or 4 mpg more on top of my wee box that people love to slag. I'm now getting a daily round the town average of 57mpg with mixed driving, with this morning's shortish work and nursery run (10 miles) returning 63mpg.

Very happy with set up and it's good that the Millers gunk is cleaning my injectors into the bargain. My Millers dealer did advise that i would notice the difference if I was to stop using the additive - he would say that but I suppose it makes sense.

wid77
26-02-2007, 10:50 PM
OH! It's WORTH it!!! ;) I've paid £30 for 3 litres of the stuff, and I would estimate that I will go on (over the 3000 odd litres of diesel that treats) save well over £100 compared to my economy when I don't use any.

It literally pays for itself and a lot more in my case. But you need to be consistent and use it all the time without fail - else the ECU learns to drive without it again - and you have to re-adapt it. :)

Hi, where do you get it from if you don't mind me asking? I seem to pay at least 20% more for the same goods as other people. Do you get it off the internet? Cheers.