PDA

View Full Version : Question Difference between Variable Service 1 and 2

danclyon
22-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Hi All,

Anyone know what the difference is? Is this specific to model/year - or is it a 1:2:1:2 type affair? Trying to work out what my next one is - it will be 60k miles or it's *4th* variable on the 1.9Tdi 130.

Thanks,
Dan.

Marco34
22-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi All,

Anyone know what the difference is? Is this specific to model/year - or is it a 1:2:1:2 type affair? Trying to work out what my next one is - it will be 60k miles or it's *4th* variable on the 1.9Tdi 130.

Thanks,
Dan.

I'm not sure what they are to be honest. If I may speak my mind.. the variable service IMO isn't that great. Quite a few will agree. Fixed servicing every year is better. The reason being it could be 2 years before the engine is even looked at! Oil and filter at least every 12 months should really be done. Every year I change my pollen and air filter and the fuel filter every 18 months to 2 years. The filter are always grubby and that's well within schedule.

:beerchug:

danclyon
22-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure what they are to be honest. If I may speak my mind.. the variable service IMO isn't that great. Quite a few will agree. Fixed servicing every year is better. The reason being it could be 2 years before the engine is even looked at! Oil and filter at least every 12 months should really be done. Every year I change my pollen and air filter and the fuel filter every 18 months to 2 years. The filter are always grubby and that's well within schedule.

:beerchug:

Variable is probably fine for me. I've had the car 15 months and it's had one variable service at ~18k miles and is 13k from another one already so mine does get attented to more often than once every two years - plus I'm a bit of a stickler for having a nose around in quite some detail every 3 months or so if I don't do it more frequently to pick up on things that need attention.

I'm not sure what the fixed interval servicing costs compared to the variable to be honest - though I've seen advice from Crasher and others that even if you do fixed you should still use the Longlife III oil - which other than the labour appears to represent a huge percentage of the cost of the job either way (why do they mark it up so much anyway.....?)

Cheers,
Dan.

bora(ing) nick
22-12-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm on Longlife servicing, but i do a about 20K miles a year.

10K service means servicing it twice a year, and call me tight but i don't think thats needed when you do as many motorway miles as i do.

It gets the full long life service everytime it asks, and i check it regularly anyway.

Must get the tracking done soon....