PDA

View Full Version : Question low brake pad warning light -2002 1.9 tdi Al

Robin Vitiello
21-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi,
I know there have been a few questions on this topic before, but no clear answer.

I have a 2002 1.9tdi 115 bhp alhambra. About a 18 months ago the low brake pad warning light came on on the dashboard. This was an intermittent wartning that sometimes came on and sometimes didn't. In the event about 12 months ago, I had thefront discs changed and of course new pads put in as well. (Covered by a warranty) The warning light went off, and was okay until about 3 weeks ago when the same problem arose again. I do not for one moment believe that the pads could have warn down in that time - We will have only covered about 10,000 miles and neither of us are heavy on the pedals. All other cars I have had in the past front pads last between 20 and 30K.
Does anyone know what to espect from a set of front brake pads on this motor?

Question, Is the brake pad sensor on just one wheel - The owners manual says that the sensor relates only to the front pads. If so anyone know which side?

Second is the warning light illuminated by simply there being a circuit completed lighting the warning lamp or does it go into the electronic management unit and if so does this mean it will need to be re-set each time after it trips on?

I am quite happy to change the pads myself - not a difficult job, but dont want to waste my time and money if not necessary.

Is this a common problem and what else might be causing a false warning?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Robin.:Blush:

newners
14-01-2009, 11:39 PM
I have just done the pads on my Alhambra (2002 1.9 TDi). The sensor for pad wear is on the passenger side front disc, inboard. If the cable connecting to the pad is loose it will cause the brake pad wear light to come on. Try pushing it further down (assuming the pads are not worn).

zollaf
14-01-2009, 11:48 PM
jack it up , whip the wheels off and have a look at the thickness of the pads. if they are below about 3mm then the sensor is working and telling you to fit new pads, if they are a lot thicker then there is probably a fault with the sensor wiring. the alhambra is a big heavy car, and pads should last 10-20k. this figure can vary wildly depending on your personal driving style and the make of pad fitted. since it has been a very wet summer this year, i would expect pads to wear out quicker on average, due to being wet, but also muddy. the particles contained in water thrown up will act as an abrasive, thus wearing pads out sooner.

Robin Vitiello
17-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check both. I would be surprised if they have worn down yet, but as yo usay you never know, and thanks for the tip about the wire. I'll let you know.

Cheers

Robin

Robin Vitiello
28-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi there,
finally got round to checking things out re this issue.

Have checked thicknesses with a caliper. Brake pads on front are 16 mm and the book states minimum of 7 mm including backplate.
Discs have a thickness of 27 mm where the book says minimum thickness of 21 mm.

I have checked the sensor cable and both ends seem firmly fixed. I note there are two wires in the sensor where I previously believed it was just one using earhting contact to trigger the low brake sensor.

Since everything seems to be in order and it appears its a sensor glitch, any other suggestions to sort it?

I am happy the brakes are safe. Its just damn annoying having that light on and the audible warning when you turn the ignition on.

Just one thought does the fault system need to be re-set for this one by a computer, or should it just go out once you solve the problem.
The other thing I was wandering is whether this also warns for a different fault. The manuals say no, but can't think of anything else.

Regards and hope ther's some other suggestions.

Robin

cliffdi
02-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm told you have to replace the sensor, not just the pads, to clear the warning message. Apparently it works by the sensor coming into contact with the brake disc to complete the circuit and that effectively damages the sensor. You definitely don't need to clear the fault with the computer - just had my pads done for the same reason.