PDA

View Full Version : Almost bought an EOS

alpappy
24-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I almost paid a deposit today but all this talk of leaks and squeeks/rattles is putting me off. The local dealer looked at me as if I was crazy when I brought this up...brought over the workshop manager who said all had been perfect...how many are bad and are the newer ones any better?

I have owner 3 mx5s and an old golf convertable ..neve had problems like these before

Alan

stuart
24-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi

What you have to think about, is that there are many, many EOS around the country, it is just that this website has brought a few with problems into the public eye. This does not mean that everyone will be the same.

If you like the car for what it is, buy one.. you may not get any problems at all.

It is like, when I worked for a car parts company, and I was asked if we had many problems with a certain make of brake disc, I said we did get a few faulty ones, but as a compnay that sold hundreds each year... we had a very small percentage.

Stuart

alpappy
24-02-2007, 10:24 PM
HI Thanks that is what I was thinking The USA site also highlights similar problems. I am sure VW will bring out solutions quickly All new cars have problems!

alan

davidp
25-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I paid a deposit on a TFSI Eos sport on Friday.:)
Any new car will have a few teething problems and you will always find out what they are on forums like this.
Hey there are loads of very happy owners as well.
Any probs should all be well sorted by the time you and I get ours in May/June.
Cheers, David

Gadgeteer1066
25-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I almost paid a deposit today but all this talk of leaks and squeeks/rattles is putting me off. The local dealer looked at me as if I was crazy when I brought this up...brought over the workshop manager who said all had been perfect...how many are bad and are the newer ones any better?

I have owner 3 mx5s and an old golf convertable ..neve had problems like these before

Alan

I have to say that the issue of leaks is now old hat and nothing that should put anyone off buying an Eos. The solution has always been there in front of us in the handbook. If you get the opportunity to read it, it will tell you to lubricate the seals with a bit of oil. There are even diagrams of where to do it. You can feel a dry seal and know when it needs a bit of oil.

There is an excellent thread in VWVortex where this is actually done, step by step with pictures.

This is a brand new car and this was a new issue that even the dealers had not got their heads around. The VWVortex thread shows you the difference between a dry and an oiled seal. No big problem, no unresolved issue, just some basic maintenance.

The car is great. It beats the competition hands down. It drives well, it is well built and even a dry seal doesn't give you any more rattle or noise than you would get in most soft top convertibles. It's perhaps that Eos owners have set themselves even higher standards and that is only a little bit of oil away.

EOSmage
26-02-2007, 06:09 PM
The EOS is a great car. I did alot of research before purchasing mine, and am very happy with it. As was said before, by Gadgeteer1066, every car has issues when they are first released to a new market. But the issues are dealt with quickly and efficiently, and the EOS is really a well built car.

I've owned an Alfa Romeo Spider Convertible (granted, it was a 1975 model and didn't have the fancy technology that newer cars have) but the roof talked to me more than the radio did. When it rained, the dealer-- in a form of joke-- offered to buy me a hat-umbrella. It was all good fun, and I was willing to make that sacrifice for the top-down driving.

However, with a little tender-loving-care, your EOS will keep you dry and will be a wonderful addition to your personal fleet. :)

The thread referenced about how to keep the seals nice and soft can be found here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3087297

I think the author did a fabulous job of documenting the process. I've done it once now, and it makes the car perfect.

neh321
27-02-2007, 01:19 PM

Alan

My Eos is one of the earliest (registered 14/07/06) and I have had no leaks at all! Some squeaks and rattles but all sorted by the methods others mention on this and other websites.

Don't be put off. It's a great car. Every drive is still an occasion - even just down to the supermarket!

alpappy
27-02-2007, 03:06 PM
well I have been convinced ordered a 3.2 vg sliver Will let yuu knoe when it turns up

thanks for all the advice

alan

davidp
27-02-2007, 08:44 PM
well I have been convinced, ordered a 3.2 vg silver Will let you know when it turns up

thanks for all the advice

alan
Thats excellent news. Ooh a 3.2 V6 bet that goes like a rocket. Really pleased to hear we have answered your concerns. Please keep us informed of progress. All the best david.

alpappy
27-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Dealer has found one nearby and will get it on Friday. Have asked for some sealant with the car and hope it will not be required. I have taken a long time to make this purchase and have tried out the new Focus cc ( quite nice drive but the back is really ugly..finish not upto VW standards eg panel and carpet fit etc). Also toyed with the new MX5 coupe but it is too small and not much use on long trips but build and drive are very good indeed!

Thanks for all the help

alan

davidp
27-02-2007, 09:27 PM
I agree, looked at the ford focus myself but the one in the dealers had a fault and we couldn open the boot or start the engine (bad news). Its also longer than the VW. Looks quite nice though but a bit boring compared to the eos and hasnt got that fabulous sunroof which really makes the cabin light and airy. There's nothing to compare to the 3.2 V6 though if you are after some torque, you would have to look to the new BMW Coupe convertible which is way more expensive. Think you made the right choice.
cheers, david

EOSmage
27-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Well, I'm also glad to hear that you've opted to go with the EOS. It really is a great car and driving it is amazing. I couldn't get the bigger engine (Canadian options suck right now)... and can only imagine how it will perform.

That and your ability to get Dynaudio. :)

neh321
28-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Dealer has found one nearby and will get it on Friday. Have asked for some sealant with the car and hope it will not be required. I have taken a long time to make this purchase and have tried out the new Focus cc ( quite nice drive but the back is really ugly..finish not upto VW standards eg panel and carpet fit etc). Also toyed with the new MX5 coupe but it is too small and not much use on long trips but build and drive are very good indeed!

Thanks for all the help

alan

You've made a wise choice.

Of all the comparative tests I've read in car mags and elsewhere of the various CC's of this size/price (Astra, Peugeot 307, Volvo, Renault Megane - no Focus seen yet) the VW wins hands down. None of the others get anywhere near in terms of dynamics, build quality or practicality. It's more expensive but you don't get a (real!) Rolex for the price of a Timex do you?!

alpappy
28-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Focus gives lots of extras but felt a bit like the Megane CC also I was worried as there is no one out there who can comment on leaks etc It may turn out to be problems ++

Will let youknow how the new car gets on I am replcing the headunit with a satnav one but am not sure what will fit the dash and loom
alan