PDA

View Full Version : Puncture repaired, bouncy car!!

loujay
20-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi, Im new on here and just wondered if anyone could help me. :1zhelp:
I bought a MK 5 Golf 1.9 TDI match a few months ago and got a puncture last month. I had it repaired, it was a screw in between the tread in the tyre and recently it feels sort of bouncy when Im at between 62 and 70 mph. My leg vibrates quite a lot at this speed. The tyre could just be a coincidence as I have only just noticed this bounciness. The first time I felt it I thought I had another flatteneing tyre and pulled over on the hard shoulder but it was fine.
Could a repair make this happen? I am going to check the tyre pressure tomorrow but they look fine. My steering wheel is not affected at all like it can be with balancing isues, it was the rear drivers side wheel and its driving me mad as the car was a pleasure to drive up until recently.
Thanks for any advice.

Crasher
20-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I would say they did not re-balance it. An unbalanced rear wheel will not affect the steering.

loujay
21-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Hi thanks for replying.
I really hope it is the tyre and nothing else. I didnt realise that a rear tyres balancing was so important although I would have expected it to have been done when it was repaired. Sorry for my ignorance Im a typical female :D. Ive had balancing issues in the past with front tyres and the wheel shuddering at about 70mph but never noticed anything with a rear tyre. Do you think its worth getting a new tyre or do you reckon my repaired one rebalanced will be safe.
Thanks again

stonedagain
21-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi thanks for replying.
I really hope it is the tyre and nothing else. I didnt realise that a rear tyres balancing was so important although I would have expected it to have been done when it was repaired. Sorry for my ignorance Im a typical female :D. Ive had balancing issues in the past with front tyres and the wheel shuddering at about 70mph but never noticed anything with a rear tyre. Do you think its worth getting a new tyre or do you reckon my repaired one rebalanced will be safe.
Thanks again
Normally, If it's a front wheel out of balance, you feel it through the steering wheel. If it's a rear wheel out of balance, you feel it through body vibe, or through your butt!

po1o_madman
21-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Are they expensive tires? I've always been a bit funny with tire repairs, I would rather pay for a new one for peace of mind.

loujay
21-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks agian for your replies, I feel relieved that it will be the balancing. What you describe is what Im feeling, the bounce is through my backside and right leg, I will try to get it done tomorrow or....
As for getting a new tyre, to be honest I would feel better with a new one as Im doing more motorway miles now. I havent a clue :o:o:o if its an expensive one or not, I dont even know what make it is!! I presume it was the set put on from new as it had only done 7000 miles when I bought the car, its a 57 reg. I will have a look though and find out.
Little whinge now .... why on earth do they have the stupid thin spare tyres, a normal steel wheel would be better.
Thanks again everyone, youve been a great help :D

loujay
22-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi, I took my car today to a different tyre place and asked them to rebalance it. I told them Id had a puncture so they checked it and it hadnt been repaired properly, it was still slightly punctured. They said whoever had done it had used a plug that was for a scooter and they had damaged my tyre inside, they shown me this. They said it was dangerous as they had thinnened the tyre all around the puncture area. He did say he could re repair it and it would be fine but I decided to get a new tyre at a cost of £63. Im so mad at the first garage, would you go back or just forget about it and consider myself to having had a possible lucky escape?

NickPicks
23-12-2008, 03:32 PM
I suspect that if you go back to the original tyre place, they'll probably say that the second place was exaggerating to get you to buy a new tyre. The usual rules of customer service apply - tell everyone you know not to go there.

The first place wasn't by any chance a well known chain was it?

A properly done tyre repair will be perfectly safe, otherwise the likes of Michelin wouldn't allow them, but if you feel happier with a new one, then that's your mind at peace.

I agree with you about space savers - I helped a girl with one at some motorway services a few weeks ago and it just looks scary - I did emphasis to her not to drive more than 50mph on it. My A6 has got a full size spare on a proper alloy.

loujay
23-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi thanks for repying.
The garage was a small back street garage my hubby has used for years but to be honest Ive had tyres repaired in the past by them and had to have them rebalanced again. Hubby just thought I was being picky!
I would have been happy if the original repair would have been ok but I was quite shocked when I was shown the thinnened bit. The new garage didnt try to sell me a new tyre, the lad who repaired it reckoned it would be fine, it was me who asked about a new one. So I probably am a bit picky really :biglaugh:.
As for space savers, if VW didnt put so much packaging arround the space saver, needed a degree to suss out how to get the spare out lol, then a normal spare wouldnt take any more room up at all. They are soooo thin in comparison to the normal tyre too.
Drove my car today for a short run on the motorway and Ive got my old car back, its driving perfect, no bounciness at all so a great big thanks to you all :beerchug: