PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Light Does Not Work ??? Any Ideas????????

RickT
19-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

Got a Mk5 Golf and the reverse light does not work...

The Dash "bulb" warning had not come on so i did a bit of investigating..

I removed the Reverse light bulb and holder and checked it... seemed ok...

Tested the rear fog light bulb and holder in the Reverse light and it did NOT work..

Put the reverse light and holder in fog light cluster and that worked so it proves the bulbs and holders are ok..

The question...

Is the reverse light fused??

After removing the bulbs etc.. its not triggered the "light out" symbol on the dash..

I am going to test the current on the connector tonight to ensure power is going to the reverse light when engaged....

IF.. there is no power... I think it would mean the reverse light switch/replay has failed..

Does anyone have any ideas where these are located ???

Thank you

Rick

Crasher
19-12-2008, 04:55 PM
The reversing light is powered by the onboard supply control unit and so a scan of this would be the first step. If no faults are shown, the operation of the reversing light switch can be observed in Measuring Blocks 08. The switch gets its power from fuse 4 (5A) on the fuse panel on the side of the dash.

RickT
20-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Cheers Mate,

Rick

RickT
21-12-2008, 02:20 AM
The reversing light is powered by the onboard supply control unit and so a scan of this would be the first step. If no faults are shown, the operation of the reversing light switch can be observed in Measuring Blocks 08. The switch gets its power from fuse 4 (5A) on the fuse panel on the side of the dash.

Update..

The Fuse is ok...

Re-checked it today in the light and its still not working..

I have got rid of the bulb warning light just by unplugging the rear fog light and refitting it..

Tested bulbs again... works fine on fog but not on reverse light....

Next thing is to check the codes..

my version of VAG-COM does not read the codes on this car.. (only on my B6 A4).. So going to nip over to a mate for them to read them..

Rick

RickT
23-12-2008, 11:43 AM
UPDATE --

I have read VAG-COM and the only fault which was logged was due to a bulb out, (cleared fault codes)

01518 - Bulb for Back-Up Lights; Left (M16)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent

When i was checking it in measuring blocks, the "REAR LEFT FOG" (even though its the reserve light) shows a null value when i would expect it to say 1.00%-

See below..

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/RTpic.jpg

The next "pointer" i have been given is to check the 2 wires onto the gear box, sometimes these come lose and break...

Any further ideas??

Thank you

Rick

Rneedham4
09-05-2017, 10:29 AM
I have the same issue did you ever get this ressolved ??