PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Where is the oil filter on 115 PD engine?

wid77
24-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi,

I am in the middle of an oil change and i can't workout where the oil filter is onmy 2001 A4 Avant with 115bhp PD engine. Can anyone help me out? I would really appreciate it!

Lex Luthor
24-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Under the engine cover at the RHS (looking from the front) of the head.
72mm-ish socket to unscrew the top.

wid77
24-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the right thing then but I couldn't get it undone. It didn't seem to me that it had been opened recently either whixh is a bit worryng when it was meant to have been recently serviced. Can you just tell me, are they done up quite tight? Thanks.

Lex Luthor
24-02-2007, 10:31 PM
The plastic cap gets a good grip on the metal.
When you put it back on just nip it up gently. The O-ring provides the seal.

wid77
25-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks for your help. I'll have to get down to the local motor factiors (Euro Car Parts) to see if they have the 72mm socket.

devonutopia
25-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Its a 32mm socket on mine - 72mm sounds massive - 3" odd.

This is a pd130 engine though, and a different car.

wid77
26-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Yes, it does look about 72mm diameter.

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to replace the oil filter on a 2001 115hp PD engine without replacing the oil? I changed the incorrect 10W 40 oil put in by my local garage for 5W 40 PMillers XFE-PD oil. However, i didn't have the right tool to remove the air filter so i had to leave that in place. I am not convinced the garage changed the filter (don't worry, i no longer use them) so i would like to swap it anyway. I am concerned that the oil will come out of the top of it? Can anyone advise?

Lex Luthor
27-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Yes, it does look about 72mm diameter.

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to replace the oil filter on a 2001 115hp PD engine without replacing the oil? I changed the incorrect 10W 40 oil put in by my local garage for 5W 40 PMillers XFE-PD oil. However, i didn't have the right tool to remove the air filter so i had to leave that in place. I am not convinced the garage changed the filter (don't worry, i no longer use them) so i would like to swap it anyway. I am concerned that the oil will come out of the top of it? Can anyone advise?

All the oil will be in the sump if you have not started the engine.....
An easy swop out

Lex Luthor
27-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Its a 32mm socket on mine - 72mm sounds massive - 3" odd.

This is a pd130 engine though, and a different car.

I guess a 32mm will do as long as it is a six-point.
My 12-point looks like it would round-off the corners so I went for the large socket that fits canister style filters as well.

wid77
27-02-2007, 07:53 PM
All the oil will be in the sump if you have not started the engine.....
An easy swop out

The engine has been started as i use the car daily. Are you suggesting that the oil will come out the top of the filter housing when i take the plastic cap off? Sorry to sound stupid on this one. I assumed the oil would drain down to the sump if left for a few minutes and then i could whip out the filter and change.

Lex Luthor
28-02-2007, 10:02 AM
The engine has been started as i use the car daily. Are you suggesting that the oil will come out the top of the filter housing when i take the plastic cap off? Sorry to sound stupid on this one. I assumed the oil would drain down to the sump if left for a few minutes and then i could whip out the filter and change.

You're right...go for it.