PDA

View Full Version : how do you change engine oil on VW Sharan

kimsue
24-02-2007, 01:14 PM
I want to change my engine oil on my VW Sharan TDi 2003 model.
I have looked under the vehicle. The cover appears to be held in place with 6 bolts, 2 appear a bit difficult to access. Am I correct that if I remove the 6 bolts the cover will just drop off ? Can the front two bolts be accessed with a socket set with extended arm ? I cannot see where the oil filter is by looking under the bonnet? Is it easy to access once I have dropped the underneath cover ? Last, is the sump plug obvious to the eye ? If so where abouts will it be and will this have a bolt or will it be a special type like Fiats have and require a special tool ? Why dont Haynes produce a manual for VW Sharan 2001 onwards ? It would resolve many general questions and I am sure there is market for this. Anyway advise regarding doing this job would be greatly appreciated as I do not intend paying the VW dealer £131.95 for this.:Blush:

Leo
25-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi Kimsue, I've got the earlier version of the Sharan ('99 model) but I'm sure that things won't have changed too much between the model years.
You're right about the bolts for the sump cover, an extension on your ratchet handle will do the job,(my sump cover has 4 bolts). Don't worry if the cover won't slide out from under the car, just shove it back out of the way. The filter on mine is at the front, just accessible from the top but better from below. The sump plug will be at the lowest point of the sump - on mine it's at the rear and is a 19mm hex-head, so a regular spanner or socket will do.
Sorry I can't be more specific about your newer model, but I reckon you'll manage ok. No way would I pay that price for an oil change!
Good luck,
Leo.

kimsue
09-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Further help required. I went to buy the oil filter for this model and it is one of those internal filters (not the screw on type). My question is how or where on the engine is the cap to take off to replace the internally fitted oil filter. On another note I contacted Haynes asking why they have not produced a guide for the Sharan 2001 onwards. They said there have to be at least 100,000 UK sales of any vehicle to make it viable for them to produce a guide and this model has not reached this target. Mmmmmm.